Tips for worm farm please

floyd110, Jan 5, 9:54pm
Hi I have just been given a hungry bin worm farm and set it up. What are your tips for using it? What do you use to cover the top of the bin and do you add any water to it? TIA!

malcovy, Jan 6, 7:15am
Keep it in a shaded place and air vents are on top, mine one is. Feed food scraps minus dairy, bread, onion, garlic, citrus or meat. I give mine all food scraps including egg shells and even eggs if I dropped one, a little wet newspaper sometimes. I also give fruit and skins like banana peel minus the stickers. It's normal to have wee tiny white worms as it's part of the process and also feeding fruit will attract fruit flies, the only annoying thing is when the lid is lifted the fruit flies buzz around me. Water can be added if it's looking dry and if you do that then try and remember to open tap at bottom and use the liquid on the garden. I keep a container close by.

lythande1, Jan 6, 7:54am
There's no difference you know.
Our compost heap, down the bottom is stuffed full of worms, small ones, fat ones, all sorts, packed full.

theguyz1, Jan 6, 8:45am
. the difference is that your compost heap produces compost with the help of worms and a worm farm produces liquid and solid fertilizer because of the worms. and earth worms will likely perish in an enclosed farm. a compost heap and a worm farm are two different things tbf.

malcovy, Jan 7, 7:03am
Tiger worms for worm farms not earthworms. Also if the worm farm gets quite smelly sprinkle a small amount of garden lime on top. Top layer is for food. Hope this all helps.

floyd110, Jan 7, 10:30am
Yes all very helpful! Thanks!

daisy86, Jan 7, 2:18pm
Plus what Malcovy has already mentioned, ours get the contents of the vacuum cleaner bag, hair from my hair brush and the cat's comb, tea leaves/bags, coffee grinds, egg cartons and dried leaves. Probably a few other things I've forgotten.

Do not feed them kiwifruit or pineapple as these act as a meat tenderizer. Not a nice way for a little worm to go.

Our farm produces worm wee which is watered down about 10 to 1 and solid waste we mix into the soil.

floyd110, Jan 7, 5:00pm
I was going to put fur from the cats comb in as well but changed my mind in case of any residual nasties from the flea / worm treatment he gets.

k.mac, Jan 7, 8:34pm
agree with all the above comments and I occasionally shred any paper I have and put that on the top too. Helps stop the flies a bit and keeps the worms dry.

daisy86, Aug 27, 7:48am
You're quite right! That's cat fur off the menu for my worms then.