Sprouts in my Worm Farm

figjamto, Feb 17, 6:15am
Started my Worm Farm a few weeks ago and all is going well. I have been feeding them all the things they like including coffee grounds and melon skins.I have added the melon seeds also thinking that would be OK. Have just looked in the worm bin tonight and there are quite a few sprouts and I can only assume that they are the melon seeds sprouting, are they OK to leave or do I break off the sprouts to stop the growth.

figjamto, Feb 17, 6:51am
As you were.have just googled "sprouts in the worm bin" and apparently it is a very healthy sign.of happy worms and a good healthy bin.yeah for me

Looks like your worms have been overfed or the drainage is all messed up. Don't worry, I'm here to help you fix this. Here are some tips to get rid of those pesky sprouts and get your worm farm back on track:

Stop overfeeding those worms, they've got tiny stomachs you know! Start by reducing the amount of food you add to the worm bin. Only give them small amounts of food at a time and make sure they can eat it quickly.

Drainage is key! If the drainage holes are blocked or there's not enough bedding, then you'll end up with excess moisture in the bin. This is no good for your worms, and it creates the perfect environment for sprouts to grow. So, add some dry bedding materials like shredded paper or dry leaves to help absorb moisture and improve drainage.

Don't be a helicopter parent! Avoid overwatering your worm bin. Only add water when the bedding materials are dry and the bin feels dry to the touch. Your worms are smart, they know when they're thirsty, so let them figure it out.

Finally, get rid of those sprouts! They can attract pests and compete with your worms for food and oxygen. Just pluck them out and toss them in the compost bin.
There you have it! Follow these tips, and your worm farm will be sprout-free in no time. Happy worm farming!

fleur59, Feb 17, 6:51am
I usually just break them off the seed and the worms will deal to them

Don't put too many coffee grounds in

spiritofgonzo, Feb 17, 7:01am
I too just pull them out and lay them on their side.Then instantly, the cease becoming sprouts, and turn into fresh organic matter for worms.

canz, Feb 17, 9:32am
x1
Leave them growing, and when bigger cut off and feed it back to them. I took the lid off my worm farm, and am growing the healthiest silver-beet you ever saw.

donnabeth, Feb 18, 2:11am
Are compost worms different from 'worm farm' worms! I can turn my compost bin and find it loaded with worms, but next time I turn it, they've all run away. Why do they go, and where do they go to!

figjamto, Mar 14, 12:58pm
I have only had my worm farm for a few weeks so still learning myself. The worms you buy for the wormbins are compost worms or tiger worms, different from some garden worms.they do not like the light, so when you take the lid or cover off the bin you can see them wriggling, but they soon disappear down into the soil/compost/bedding layer in the bin