Grass under trees

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 3, 10:26am
Kill the stuff out with a turf poison and scatter wildflower seed. Better for the trees and the lives that surround them. And instead of mowing, a couple of times a year a quick cutback with a weed eater removes the untidy top growth, mulches the trees, and clears the way for the next lot of seed - which becomes self replenishing in time.

And so pretty to look at.

Btw, lawn clippings around the base of trees burns them. Better to avoid.

stewart710, Dec 30, 1:53pm
I have a big lawn with lots of trees, about 30. Mainly fruit trees. What can I use to kill the grass under the trees without affecting the trees. Trying to mow under them is very time consuming and my mower is getting battered with the low branches

heisei28, Dec 30, 2:02pm
A naturist would collect the clippings from the lawn and put them around the base.
A farmer would use round up or another non woody grass killer and spray.
A garden enthusiast would put newspaper down with bark or pebbles.
An investment mogul would take the trees out and subdivide.

nicc4, Dec 30, 2:14pm
I have taken off all the low branches on trees that clash with my rideon mower. Probably good to let more sun and air flow around them anyway.
If I remember to go clockwise around the trees, they will even get a little side delivery mulch.

apollo11, Dec 30, 2:14pm
There are benefits to using grass clippings under trees too. They insulate the tree's roots and keep the soil moist. Plus they feed the tree.

tweake, Dec 30, 2:16pm
roundup works fine.
then put mulch, not lawn clippings, around the bass.

i prune the low branches and put them through the mulcher.

apollo11, Dec 30, 2:43pm
Lawn clippings are fine in the dry months, usual caveat about keeping the trunks free of clippings to deter rot. The bloody birds do tend to get stuck in after a while though.

starseeker, Dec 30, 4:24pm
Absolutely, especially the advice to keep the trunks free from the clippings; I have seen several trees killed by clippings piled knee deep around the trunk

annie17111, Dec 30, 5:07pm
Could you get a sheep?

megan109, Dec 30, 5:40pm
I was just going to suggest a sheep or goat when I saw your post. Yes a sheep is a good idea and then roast lamb/hogget for xmas dinner next year.

apollo11, Dec 30, 7:00pm
A goat would be more inclined to eat the tree lol. Then it would climb the tree to get the rest. Goats are arseholes.

megan109, Dec 30, 9:26pm
taste nice too.

blueviking, Dec 31, 7:02am
Have you seen the price of lambs? An extension to a weed whacker so you just walk around the tree and this would leave the clippings around the tree.

amasser, Oct 17, 12:01pm
Same.