Passion fruit in chch

nzshooter01, Feb 27, 7:24am
Anybody growing passion fruit in chch?
How do they go with frosts etc?

lythande1, Feb 27, 8:36am
Passionfruit hate frost. Most of it is grown commercially in bay of Islands.
You can grow in Hawkes Bay. well parts of it. frosts being mild. The plant would need to be well established before frosts start. in a glasshouse perhaps down your way?

lakeview3, Feb 27, 8:45am
My parents grow them here in Rotorua, up against the house under the eaves. We get heaps of quite brutal frosts here so I imagine if they can grow them here, they will be fine in Christchurch too with the right position.

tygertung, Feb 27, 8:45am
My parents have a vine up on the hill in Sumner. It isn't so frosty when one is a bit elevated.

lakeview3, Feb 27, 8:45am
Bumper of a crop this year too.

barbiedoll, Feb 27, 9:48am
lakeview, I was in Rotorua 2 weeks ago and asked a man at the Saturday market about passionfruit. Never saw any. Are they ripe now ?. Love them and VERY expensive here in Christchurch in season.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 27, 10:13am
Interesting. consider the miles of pink blossom from banana passionfruit plants through the wild roadsides of the Marlborough Sounds.

It is all about microclimates and positioning.

gilligee, Feb 27, 11:04am
Different plant.

marob2, Feb 27, 11:25am
We grew passionfruit successfully in Casebrook for the life of the plant. It was north facing and up against a brick wall. Very good crops probably every second year. The vines do have a limited life span.

lakeview3, Feb 27, 2:45pm
hi there no they aren’t quite yet ripe, the fruit are full size but still very green, I looked at them this morning. So maybe another couple of weeks before they are ready? /

lakeview3, Feb 27, 2:47pm
yes my parents plant is on a trellis that is attached to a brick wall on the northwest side under the eaves.

kay34, Feb 27, 3:00pm
$10/kg at healthy harvest in chch

kam04, Feb 27, 3:31pm
Saw in the supermarket yesterday - $37/kg

nzshooter01, Feb 27, 4:46pm
Thanks for the replies guys

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 14, 10:42am
Yes.

It is.