Waterblasting roof pre painting

jojo76, Mar 28, 4:34pm
It is advisable to waterblast before painting an iron roof or will a hose on roof treatment be enough. Our waterblaster hose isn’t long enough to get the the top of our roof, It has lichen which we have scraped off. Thanks

tygertung, Mar 29, 12:04am
x1
Hey there! If you're planning on painting your iron roof, it's definitely a good idea to give it a good clean first. Not only will this help the paint to adhere better, but it will also help to remove any dirt, grime, and debris that may have accumulated over time.

While a hose on roof treatment may be enough in some cases, it's usually not as effective as using a proper roof water blasting system. This involves using a high-pressure water blaster to remove all the dirt, moss, and lichen from your roof. This will give you a much cleaner surface to work with when it comes time to paint.

If your waterblaster hose isn't long enough to reach the top of your roof, you may need to consider renting or borrowing a longer hose or a mobile waterblasting system. These are designed specifically for cleaning roofs and other hard-to-reach areas, and they can be a great option if you don't have the equipment yourself.

Another thing to consider is using a gutterwitch tank system. This is a special tank that attaches to your waterblaster and collects all the runoff from your cleaning. The water is then filtered and reused, which is not only environmentally friendly but can also save you money on your water bill.

If you've already scraped off the lichen from your roof, that's a good start. However, there may still be other types of dirt and debris that need to be removed before you can paint. In addition to water blasting, you may also want to consider using a roof cleaning solution to help break down any stubborn stains or buildup.

When it comes to painting your roof, it's important to choose a high-quality paint that is specifically designed for metal surfaces. This will help to ensure that your paint job lasts as long as possible and that your roof stays looking great for years to come.

In conclusion, if you're planning on painting your iron roof, it's definitely a good idea to give it a good clean first. While a hose on roof treatment may be enough in some cases, using a proper roof water blasting system is usually the best option. And don't forget about using a gutterwitch tank to collect and reuse your water. Good luck with your roof cleaning and painting project!

bargainhunter10, Mar 29, 7:43am
Resene recommend you use a moss and mould treatment to kill the mould rather than just scrap off the visible. Then they suggest a product to remove any oils/chalky paint etc. parrently if your water blaster is less than 3000psi it is not sufficient. also can damange roof

bryalea, Mar 29, 8:10am
And my husband recommends you detach all piping from house to water tanks before you moss treat if you collect rain water. He cleans out water tanks and the number of people that have had their houses moss treated (professionally) and their tanks left connected to collect rainwater is ridiculous. It's really toxic crap to remove from a tank.

intrade, Mar 29, 8:25am
question is is your roof worth repainting . i whipped it off and reroofed it before the bs scafold law with kiwisteel roof and new underlay for 7 grand 15 meter house mono pitch easy as done 2 person in 2 days.
if you have iron sheets like corrugated forget it . reroof and be done for 15 -20 years

intrade, Mar 29, 8:27am
use 30 secound spray and walk away on roof if you dont drink the water. dont scrape that damages things

apollo11, Mar 29, 9:37am
I used a stiff broom and spray bleach on our coloursteel roof. Scrubbed off any lichen and chalkiness, and painted straight afterward. Used Wattyl Solagard which was on special, $83 per ten litres. Roof looks good, someone I talked to even thought I'd had a new roof put on. Here's hoping it stays that way, lol.

intrade, Mar 29, 9:50am
bleach is not the same as 30 secounds. that funni asdian guy tv add is no b$ i used it on my fiberglass tank ,, and used it on cars many times . 15 minute later you can wash the soup off . bit of a scrub with a car wash pole broom and it be gone. You would need a scaffold as its ultra dangerous to walk on a wet roof.
i would recommend against bleach. you dont want to f. k the surface up. for the few doller the 30 secound costs more.
this add is no bull it really does do that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ibFq1aup8
i use spray on carwash and wax on my house . no drinkingwater from the roof . sprayy and walk. awayyy gutter witch-wand to clean the gutter in and out with carwash hand glove over the bristle arm for cleaning gutter and eaves.
#dont wax it if you want to waste money on roof paint. in case that was not obvious. !

apollo11, Mar 29, 10:12am
'Spray and walk away' is designed to act over time, I didn't want to wait. Bleach works well. I used it on the previous house fifteen years ago and I notice they still haven't repainted since- so I'm fairly confident it doesn't damage the surface. We are on tank water, some people add bleach to their tanks, so I'd rather trust plain bleach than something exotic. The roof was fully rinsed after scrubbing and all water diverted before it went into the tanks. Then after painting I let the first few rains divert past the tanks too, as recommended.
Re-roofing now will cost you double what you last paid, at least. We did consider it, but really we want to do a bit of work to the underlying structure of the roof while the iron is off, and I had too many other jobs on the go this summer to also take on a big re-roofing project.

jojo76, Mar 29, 12:07pm
Roof it still in good condition. Just a paint will be fine at the moment. We are planning on selling within the next year, not sure if it’s worth spending 20k on a new roof.
And yep we will spray with a 30 seconds product. Thanks

gazzat22, Aug 6, 7:14pm
A friend is a roofer, been doing it for about 30 years.His comment" If you want your iron roof to leak waterblast it" If you dont use a good product like wet and forget or similar then a broom.