What is this plant?

venna2, Oct 21, 11:03am
I've been pulling it out as a weed, but what is it? Shall I keep pulling it out or might it produce some nice flowers?
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1421626883.jpg

holly-rocks, Oct 21, 11:07am
I have this ALL over my garden also ( started with one plant) and would love to know what it is. I can’t remember the name sorry. But I really dislike it. It stinks.

It has small white flower similar to a mint or lemon balm (so nothing amazing)

Hopefully someone it’s more knowledge than myself can help out :)

sooperdoopa, Oct 21, 11:43am
Yeah looks like Lemon balm to me

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 21, 11:50am
Catnip? Lemon balm smells lemony.

holly-rocks, Oct 21, 12:30pm
Does it smell really unpleasant OP? Like chemicals?

venna2, Oct 21, 1:30pm
I don't have a good sense of smell, sorry - lifelong hayfever to blame. I did plant catmint a few years ago, I wonder if it spread. But my cat doesn't seem keen on it, whereas she demolished a catmint plant I bought more recently.

lythande1, Oct 21, 1:54pm
It's a weed.
Then again a weed is an unwanted plant. so if you like it. guess it isn't.

venna2, Oct 21, 2:03pm
You're right, lythande1. But I've pulled some of it out - I don't really like it, at least in the spot it is!

holly-rocks, Oct 21, 9:18pm
It’s not lemon balm or catnip. Similar looking though.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 21, 9:53pm
Okay. So what is it?

hezwez, Oct 21, 10:38pm
I don't like it at all. It stinks, and has long trailing roots that burrow beneath my ill-advised weed matting. I'll take a bit to mitre 10 tomorrow and see if they can identify it.

lilyfield, Oct 21, 11:01pm

lilyfield, Oct 22, 8:27am
I need to learn how to shorten links

holly-rocks, Oct 22, 8:54am
Yes the roots are so hard to remove. It hard to get all of it.

I purchased this plant around 8 years ago from a little roadside herb lady and it is by far my biggest regret in ever buying a plant. It’s gone all over my garden, it stinks so bad and it’s even started growing in our paddocks.

Good Idea taking it to Mitre10. :) Hopefully they can identify it.

budgel, Oct 22, 9:52am
Check out tinyurl.com Just highlight the large URL by left clicking and dragging across it, then right click to copy, then paste into the tinyurl box.

hezwez, Oct 22, 1:20pm
I took it to Mitre 10. It's a species of Lamium, (deadnettle) but the staff said normally people choose the variegated type for ground cover.
https://tinyurl.com/yyjfcnw2

holly-rocks, Oct 22, 3:14pm
I really appreciate you taking the time to identify this plant. Thank you :)

venna2, Oct 22, 3:48pm
Thanks from me too. Yes, that looks like it. I see I could eat it, but I've already got rid of it, well, most of it. Heswez's link says it doesn't smell but people say it does.

hezwez, Oct 22, 10:01pm
I was puzzled about the smell, or absence of, venna2. The Mitre 10 staffer noticed the stink too. I found this on a website: " Unlike their aromatic cousins peppermint and spearmint, dead nettles have a musty mildew-like aroma when crushed under the nose, and one colleague referred to them as “smelling like old socks.” My mentor used to refer to dead nettles and other non-aromatic mints as “stinkmints.”

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 23, 8:58am
And from me too, hezwez, always good to add to the garden data!

meetee, Sep 16, 6:47pm
It looks like a Chinese Artichoke which is very invasive. That would.be what it is if it has small maggot like tubers underneath. It is a type of stachys.