Larger toilet bowl

Page 1 / 2
molly37, Apr 10, 9:42pm
What is with new toilets. It's great our new home has an old DUX toilet with large bowl. no cleaning all day everyday. The new ones are just so small. Wanting to renovate, keeping it is not an option as there is a chip on the exterior and the cistern is very old fashioned. however I haven't been able to find a pan that isn't narrow. Does anyone know of a brand that would suit?

freddy.frog, Apr 10, 11:41pm
Dux have a full rang of toilets (S & P traps etc). Dux also have Commercial Care(and disabled) toilets, the pans are higher & the bowl is wider.
https://www.dux.co.nz/product-category/bathroom/toilet-suites/ https://www.dux.co.nz/product-category/bathroom/commercial-care-lifestyle/

dinx, Apr 11, 12:15am
Newer ones are all "water saving". Pfft. Not saving anything if dbl flushing.

lakeview3, Apr 11, 7:55am
is that the reason? I agree with your sentiments.

What’s the point in having a smaller bowl when you have to do a courtesy flush followed by another one?

lythande1, Apr 11, 8:14am
Just put a dux in.
Or Caroma

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/caroma-p-trap-uniset-ii-toilet-suite_p4870257

P and S trap available.

wasgonna, Apr 11, 8:25am
Probably Health & Safety stuck their nose in and wanted smaller toilets so that children would only get jammed half way down.

gabbysnana, Apr 11, 8:27am
Google search comfort toilet. Wider and higher. Quite a few brands.

lakeview3, Apr 11, 8:42am
I think she means the bowl where the water is, is small, not the actual size of the seat part.

molly37, Apr 11, 9:54am
Yep the pan I'd like wider. we are on tank water too do the extra flush and constant cleaning isn't great.

molly37, Apr 11, 9:59am
Thanks. I'll take a look
Wonder where they are sold.

pauldw, Apr 11, 10:23am
Older dual flush toilets used to be 11 litres full flush. New ones are 4.5 litres full/3 litres half. Even flushing twice you could still be saving water.

articferrit, Apr 11, 12:38pm
We bought our toilets from Millen, the 'disabled' style, which is higher than the usual small toilets which seem to be everywhere now.

amasser, Apr 11, 2:04pm
With generations getting taller, you would expect higher toilets.

freddy.frog, Apr 11, 3:27pm
The following link provides DUX preferred Merchants. where you'll be able to source DUX product information.

https://www.dux.co.nz/preferred-merchants/

nzmax, Apr 11, 3:57pm
The older style toilets with the cistern higher up the wall also gave you a bit more oomph to the flush along with the extra water older ones would release which definitely helped move the contents of the pan. I find the modern ones seem to flush with the force of a dripping tap.

oakcottage, Apr 11, 4:00pm
A higher toilet helps older people and arthritis sufferers ease in getting up. Think of a low chair and a higher chair. Much easier to stand from a higher chair. Same on the loo. As others have said it's known as comfort height.

kacy5, Apr 11, 5:37pm
'Comfort' toilets are a Godsend after hip and knee replacement operations, well worth whatever extra they cost. Only trouble is you forget when going on normal ones and the last few inches you seem to land with a thud, sure seems a long way down on some of them.

starseeker, Apr 11, 7:05pm
And if you have short legs the taller ones induce lumbar cramp.
Personally I think WIDER toilets will become the norm of the future as bottoms seem to be getting much bigger in the general populace.

My biggest gripe in many public toilets are the very narrow toilet rolls; you have to use twice the length to get enough for the job! Not as economical as the powers that be think!
Heaven help you if you are caught out with a bout of diarrhoea!

megan109, Apr 11, 7:10pm
new Zealanders are getting bigger so bigger toilets are going to be necessary to accommodate bigger rear ends and bigger bodies

molly37, Apr 11, 7:51pm
Don't want or need a larger seat/toilet just one that doesn't have a narrow pan. Looked at Dux on line. hmm not very modern.
Guess I can't have everything.

articferrit, Apr 12, 7:40am
Have a look at the Millen ones online, they are a newer shape and have an Auckland shop.

rua69, Apr 14, 2:06pm
As true as most modern toilets being stupidly small and uncomfortable and flushing dribbles is true. OK so you might still save a cup of water with flushing twice. Doesn't save you time, though!

Some older toilets are almost sculptures, with copper cisterns and chains with porcelain handles. There was one in a flat I lived in during the early 90s. The brand name inside was "The Centaur", lol. It was on a small plinth which was weird but made the perfect height for those of us with long legs. Not so great though for our short-legged flatmate who needed about 4 inches of support under her feet!

Unfortunately the cistern or pipe or something began to leak beyond repair and the landlord replaced the lot with a modern 90s toilet. I still have the porcelain chain handle somewhere.

brouser3, Apr 14, 7:36pm
And all that extra toilet paper along with an 'ecco' flush = sewer pipe blockage = call the plumber = all that savings has just gone down the gurgler.

macman26, Apr 14, 10:03pm
I noticed there's a lot of toilets now which require 2-3 flushes as others have noted. Caroma is one brand. But I stayed in a couple of hotels late last year and they had cistern / pan combos that flushed well with little water. Caroma was one brand. The other one was a German one. They seemed like a powerful flush.
I spoke with a plumber and his take is its all about the water delivery to the pan.

les6, Apr 23, 4:12pm
I
I don`t think you have any issue with flushing as such like I do?but the target area is way too small!Every morning there are skid marks down the bowl and out comes the brush!We have newish toilets at work which were said to be cheap ones and the water area is huge,unfortunatley unable to find a brand anywhere,but I would happily take our one and swap it!