Ducted air con system versus Crying windows

Page 2 / 2
tweake, Jun 30, 12:25pm
sorry missed that one.

what i was referring to is that air is not "damp" as such. it ALWAYS has moisture in it so you will always get condensation if it gets cold enough.

you can do everything wrong (drying clothes in side, no bath fan etc) and still have no condensation because the surfaces don't get cold enough.
conversely you can do everything right and still get condensation.
so condensation is not always a symptom of a problem, its just normal physics at play. the catch is where you have double/triple glazing and get condensation (in normal temps) because the RH is well over 80% which is mold growing conditions.

this is why temp +humidity gauges are really handy to have in the house.

gilligee, Jun 30, 1:54pm
Yes, and even if intending to sell it increases desirability and value.

hazelnut2, Jul 2, 10:33am
I have some single glazed large windows which are impossible to double glaze for various reasons. I've put 3M Window Insulation on them. Result: Awesome!

lythande1, Jul 3, 8:43am
No. You need some ventilation in a house. Sealing it up means the water has nowhere to go. Remember water comes from your breath, your cooking, all sorts of things. The air has a certain humidity level.
What does work is double glazing. We can't afford it so bought the window film kit. not as pretty for sure, but it works.

barbiedoll, Jul 3, 9:29am
I would double glaze before spending money on DVS type system.

tweake, Jul 3, 12:02pm
simply put its $2k for ventilation system vers $20k for windows. the numbers not accurate but you get the idea, double glazing is very expensive and it may be a long time before you can afford it, where as ventilation system you can probably afford now.

plus they do completely different jobs.

joanie32, Jul 3, 6:21pm
Absolutely

But kiwis are always looking for a quick and easy fix

Snake oil salesmen rely on people being too dumb to understand there is a better way to keep a home warm and dry than just whacking in the newest thing in the sales brochure

Truth is neither the salesman or the customer really understand the product being flogged.

smittenforever, Jul 4, 10:46am
I have similar windows which are causing me no end of issues, condensation, mold etc but nowhere else in the house has a problem. The 3m - stuff did you stick it straight onto the window glass? Or have you wooden frames you can adhere to? We have aluminum framing which is very narrow set into quite deep wooden sills so attaching film to the wood would leave a good 10cm void which would look ugly. I am not sure it would be possible to adhere to the narrow aluminum as its only about 1cm wide. Major heat loss area - have given up on drapes etc as they go too moldy and rot. Am keen to try 3m if it stops the water!

tweake, Jul 4, 10:58am
the 3m plastic does not touch the glass. it leaves a gap, just like double glazing.
you glue the stuff onto the window frame (doesn't need to be wide), then heat it to shrink it to make it tight.

smittenforever, Jul 4, 11:58am
Thank you! I will give it a try. Had a man quote to apply solargard ecolux thermal film to the glass but it seems it will not help the condensation just keep me warm - and it was expensive so will try the 3m first - thanks

sparkyz, Jul 4, 5:14pm
Window condensation occurs when the temperature of the inside pane of glass drops below the dew point of the air next to it.
There are several ways to stop this;
1-heat the air so that it never gets cold enough to fall to the dew point,
2-use ventilation to lower the humidity of the air and increase the dew point above the lowest temperature the glass will fall to.
3-fit double glazing so that the inner glass pane doesn't get so cold that it falls below the dew point.
Need to have a good look at your situation to see what is the best way to solve your issue. May be a mix of options.

tweake, Jul 4, 5:29pm
nicely put,
but the catch with no2 there is that you can only bring down the moisture level to that of the outside air. if the outside moisture level goes up it can increase the moisture in the house. note its moisture level not humidity (RH).
that can be a problem when you have excessive ventilation.

tygertung, Jul 13, 9:57pm
Apparently in this situation you put it on the outside of the window.