Removing moss from grooves in timber deck planks

pauline999, Aug 20, 5:36pm
Is there a gadget I can buy for doing this please? I have been using those wooden chopsticks that they supply with your sushi to scrape along the grooves, but they break really easily and it's taking ages. I did apply either wet n forget or the 30 seconds one a couple of months ago with no visible results so far.

msigg, Aug 20, 5:48pm
Yes wet and forget will work but very slowly, a good stiff broom with some detergent on it and hard work will do, then wash with clean water, then wet and forget or one of the other brands.

hulloitsme, Aug 20, 11:23pm
An adhesive spatula from a hardware store may do it? They have teeth like this "^^^^^^^^" along a straight edge to allow a measured amount of adhesive through. You would need one with teeth matching the groove to groove distance of your planks and the spatulas do come in various sizes.

pauline999, Aug 21, 7:20am
Thank you - I will give both methods a go but think the cuphook one would save my knees.

wasgonna, Aug 21, 8:06am
Get a proper Deck Broom from Mitre 10 or similar. They have short very stiff bristles and are designed for scrubbing decks as seen on various cleaning deck adverts on TV.

smallwoods, Aug 21, 8:25am
Use a water blaster on lower pressure.
I prefer one with a "turbo" nozzle and don't stop in one place for more than a second.
Keep the nozzle at a distance where you lift the scum but not damage the wood (about 200 -300mm), this will depend on the pressure of the blaster.

Run detergent or some other scum killing application through the system.

bill1451, Aug 21, 9:17pm
WATER blaster is the only way and after that some sort of growth retardant.

kitaki, Aug 24, 10:11pm
I use a hand tool that looks similar to a hoof pick (for horses hooves). It wasn't expensive at all.Think it came from a Hardware store like Mitre 10 but cannot bee 100% sure. but even a hoof pick would do. I scraped out the moss between the courtyard pavers as I have a lot of the native skinks here and try not to use chemicals if possible. Particularly in their domain area. Works well on grooves in wood too as front steps here are grooved as well

amph981, Sep 20, 4:30pm
I use a cheese knife, good for getting weeds out of paver joins as well, you have a hook and cutting edge if needed

lakeview3, Sep 20, 4:55pm
you can even buy a hoof pick now that has a brush on the other end. Very handy.

cantabman1, Sep 27, 5:52pm
Water blaster, then a Moss n Mould kill product. There are much cheaper options than W&F with the same active ingredients.