Moss on cobblestones

stuffed, Apr 5, 3:16pm
We have a large area of concrete cobblestones at our 33 year old home and every year at this time we “lash out” and spend $4 on a pack of cold water Cold Power and scrub it over them.
No more moss for another year - and no Wet and Forget!

golfdiver, Apr 5, 10:12pm
I use a chemical the same as wet and forget and it costs me less than $4. Your point being?

max.headroom, Apr 6, 6:27am
Yours is a secret

arielbooks, Apr 6, 7:09am
I just scrub a section each week with left over water from mopping the floor. Usually it has handi andi in sometimes Janola and soap. It works well and I only have enough water to do as much scrubbing as I can stand in one go.

tel4, Apr 6, 8:58pm
I like the idea of just using cold Power laundry detergent. I used to use the "wet and forget" type sprays (there are a few that are far more realistically priced than the official wet-n-forget).

BUT there is a growing body of evidence that the active ingredient (benzalkonium chloride or BAC) is causing antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria such as staphylococcus aureus, the really nasty one. Lots of links to this on the internet, just do a search. Im not a chemophobe just raising the issue that is the same as the over use of 99.9% germ killing hand wash that is getting banned in some countries and should also be in NZ for the same reasons above. Cheers

sanders4, Apr 6, 11:08pm
chlorine sold as bleach, liquid chorine for pools or powder for pools is good as it is biodegradeable but can damage plants

woody89, Apr 7, 8:46am
Chlorine sold as bleach? What do you mean?

golfdiver, Apr 7, 10:42am
It’s in almost every disinfectant on the market

tel4, Apr 7, 11:03am
Indeed it is, and for the most of us in our normal day to day life it is completely unnecessary. Disinfectant is good for certain things, eg cleaning a wound etc but not for cleaning down the kitchen bench and door handles. Just ridiculous.

Anyway glad to hear that the laundry detergent works for other folk. It is also a bloody lot cheaper than the wet-n-forget type products.

rita197, Apr 12, 9:39pm
I sprinkle a cup per square metre of cheap washing powder on bricks, concrete and decks when tnere is a couple of fine days ahead. no srubbing just keave to weather off. Works very well.

sanders4, Apr 16, 9:04pm
bleach is chlorine - 1% for janola - 15% for liquid chlorine for pools - 65% as powder for pools - what more do you need to know? have you tried google ?

sanders4, Apr 16, 9:06pm
thats the problem it seems and also it is NOT BIODEGRADEABLE unlike chlorine - google will help you if in doubt

sanders4, Apr 16, 9:08pm
no the cost is similar if you do your homework and do not pay retail!

sanders4, Apr 16, 9:12pm
not a secret - if you buy pool winteriser from Bunnings at $25 for 2 liters you have 20 liters of wet and forget - so where is the secret?

sanders4, Apr 16, 9:14pm
and where does this laundry stuff end up ? local creek after rain? oh dear no wonder our eels are dead

cagivachick1, Nov 24, 1:12pm
whats an eel ever done for us