What rug/carpet type is OK for a kitchen

kaconda, Aug 30, 11:21am
Hi, I want to put a rug or something in my kitchen. Maybe something with foam backing to make standing more comfortable AND easy to clean.
Size about 3m x 1.5m. Any advice appreciated. cheers.

crazynana, Aug 30, 11:31am
What about garage carpet ? maybe get a strip of it and get the edges bound. There are places that do bind carpet for mats.

lilyfield, Aug 30, 11:38am
Indian scrap cotton machine washable

wine-o-clock, Aug 30, 1:54pm
none-trip hazzard

mazalinas, Aug 30, 2:00pm
Mines a rubber backed one with bevelled edges so not a trip hazard. I think I got it from Briscoes yonks ago. I'll look and see if they still have them and post a link if they do.

mazalinas, Aug 30, 2:03pm
This isn't the same as my one but should do the trick https://www.briscoes.co.nz/product/1079742/kleentred-milan-runner-door-mat/

terri01, Aug 30, 2:17pm
My kitchen/dining area is all tiled so I had a runner made from the same carpet that is in the lounge/hallway/bedrooms, 3 metres long and lays between cupboards and sink area. It is bound and easy to lift whe tiles need cleaning
Maybe you could find a strip of carpet that matches your decor and have it bound

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 30, 10:38pm
My vinyl floor is awful, but no way will the LL deal. So I bought an outdoor mat and put that down over the top. Lightweight, cheap, recycled plastic, easy clean - take it outside and hose it down, dries fast, looks good. Doesn't stain, lol, though cat biscuits are inclined to slide into the weave.

And surprisingly soft underfoot.

coralsnake, Aug 31, 2:59am
Mitre10 have rubber non-slip backed kitchen mats - mine is a good sized oblong that fits across the front of the sink/cupboards. Reasonably priced around $30.

lythande1, Aug 31, 8:30am
Carpet or rugs in a kitchen? Never.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 31, 9:56am
Never say never.

pauline999, Sep 1, 11:00am
After pondering this question overnight, I thought maybe good quality othopedic slippers or shoes might be a better option?

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 1, 6:41pm
Doesn't fix grossly marked vinyl though.

megan109, Sep 2, 4:18pm
i would not use a rug/carpet in kitchen. Too easy to slip and fall over.

wine-o-clock, Oct 3, 10:53am
same goes with the toilet/bathroom-trip hazard. and yuck!