Noisy roof space mainly from black building paper

daz1968, Sep 17, 9:46am
Hi there , Ive noticed in our house when windy , mainly gusts of wind at times
its pretty noisy in the roof space, went up there for half an hr with light , and in gusts the roofing paper is moving and noisy with the wind getting in , its a 25 year old house, metal tile profile roof, feeling the paper theres plenty of purlins above and spaced 300-400 apart ,its a good roof no leaks etc. the paper is loose, was wondering is it okay to staple it to the purlins ? or maybe another method. I realise you always get abit of wind noise just thought cant do any harm and would improve it. cheers, any ideas from your experience

tweake, Sep 17, 5:08pm
do not staple it.
not only will you put a hole in it where water can come through, fixing to the underside can allow water to pool.
water must be able to drain down the slope.

can you hear the paper flapping around when inside the house?
if so i would look at better air sealing of the ceiling to reduce noise coming through the ceiling.

daz1968, Sep 17, 8:31pm
thanks for your advice about the stapling tweake I hadnt considered the water drainage side of things, look Im pretty sure thats what I hear inside in certain gusts but its impossible to know for sure, when I was in the ceiling space for about half an hr during the windy weather in last few days in wgtn and see and listen it does seem the same as what can be heard in house or at the least part of the noise, the papers not so much flapping but its more the wind /air in there and making that crinkly sound as the wind goes along that side or area of roof, ceilings are all gapped and painted , maybe I should bulk um the insulation ,

tweake, Sep 17, 8:35pm
i would check the tiles are not loose.

muzz67, Sep 17, 8:40pm
The paper under tiles roofs should droop between the trusses, to allow drainage. Unfortunately it can cause wind noise too.

tegretol, Sep 17, 11:28pm
Get some 50mm strips of 12mm ply and tack them between purlins to effectively hold the paper still. But don't puncture the paper.

This illustrates the value of chicken netting onder the paper - something that todays houses don't have.

hazelnut2, Sep 18, 9:48am
Wouldn't tacking chicken netting be better? There must be a tool which can cut it into strips whilst still in a roll?

tegretol, Sep 18, 2:14pm
Possibly but incredibly messy and you'd struggle to get it as tight as ply strips.

tweake, Sep 18, 6:14pm
you have to be a little careful with that as contact on the paper can cause the water to wick through.

tegretol, Sep 18, 8:59pm
Why? Surely the paper touches timber in mulitple other strips (eg the purlins) anyway? Why would a few strips of ply contacting it cause water ingress?

nimade, Sep 28, 5:04pm
Check the nails while you're up there. Twice this year I've seen metal tile roofing in older homes where natural movement has made the nails hole wider than it should be. Rain leaking in, in both houses. Might not be relevant, but thought I might be able to save you a future headache. I'm not a roofer, but sometimes installing solar panels, hence my experiences.