Kinking Garden Hoses

dealz4all, Jan 12, 8:14pm
Is it me or are most garden hoses rubbish? At this time of year when you are watering frequently the constant kinking is driving a woman to drink ! Does anyone else have this problem? I brought 2 different kink resistant hoses but they are useless !

pasadena1, Jan 12, 8:16pm
Drink more?

budgel, Jan 12, 8:23pm
I've found that the hot weather reduces the stiffnes and resistance to kinking.
It doesnt take much effort to unwind a hose to avoid kinks, but I still get caught occasionally.

stevo2, Jan 12, 9:25pm
After years of using so called kink proof hoses, I went to Bunnings and bought 2 expensive hoses $80 each. Never had an issue since.

cbbuilder, Jan 12, 9:59pm
I hear your pain, We bought expensive Gardena non kink garden hoses - useless worse than the old ones

callum.irvine, Jan 12, 10:00pm
I have 2 hoses that refuse to kink hozelock (mitre 10) no kinks so far, had about 2 years. Can tie it in a knot and still wont. I find this hose interesting (are hoses interesting?) because it is so light.

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/hozelock-ultimate-fitted-hose-15m/p/241198

Can't recall the brand of the other. But even more impressive. It is over 10 years old now, and has been sitting unrolled on the lawn all that time. It is a much heavier hose than the hozelock. Came from Placemakers and was expensive. Will see if anything written on it tomorrow and update.

callum.irvine, Jan 12, 10:53pm
No brand written on my older placemakers one unfortunately.

Do agree with cbbuilder on the gardena. I had to buy them for a childcare centre as they were the only brand the shop they deal with stock. More kinks than K-road at 3am on Saturday morning.

catbrat, Jan 13, 7:00am
i bought a couple of the expanding hoses was quite sceptical but they are excellent, when not in use they shrink down small emough to sit in a bucket
under the tap

tygertung, Jan 13, 8:14am
I have recently been training in sound engineering, and as you can imagine, there are a lot of cables involved which don't want to get tangles or kinks.

I believe your problem might be in the coiling of the hose.

See here for information on how to stop the kinks:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?source=hp&ei=V_T9X4HzF_fez7sPz7OsyAY&q=how+to+coil+a+hose+without+kinks&oq=how+to+coil+a+hosew&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgDMgcIABDJAxANMgQIABANMgQIABANMgQIABANMgQIABANMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yCAgAEAgQDRAeOgUIABDJAzoCCABQ95cEWMXABGC74wRoAH
AAeAGAAdcJiAG8MpIBDTItNC4xLjAuMS40LjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&a
mp;sclient=psy-ab

lythande1, Jan 13, 8:28am
How you wind them affects it. Do it in big figure of 8s rather than a circle, or buy one of those reels to wind around.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 13, 8:45am
It is all in the winding. I loop mine around some wooden bars near the tap and the kinks match the top and bottom of the loop unless I deliberately twist the hose to avoid that when I unloop it. But seeing I only use the hose once a week that isn't a major.

I would rather buy plants, than a new hose.

gabbysnana, Jan 13, 9:09am
holman hose I just brought for $35, its a bloody nitemare, constantly knots itself, drives me nuts,

apollo11, Jan 13, 9:34am
We bought the most expensive one-$100- seems to be fine. Better than the standard green ones I've always used in the past, anyway. I keep ours on a hose reel, just haul it straight off the reel without any issues.

alston, Jan 13, 9:42am
I bought two, one that retracts for the back garden, and a reel and hose that winds up for the front.The retractable one is marvellous, they both kink on occasion but
Winding them up means it doesn’t cause a major frustration when using them another day

m16d, Jan 13, 10:09am
Easiest way to stop a hose kinking, is don't wind it up when you've finished.

sue1955, Jan 13, 11:36am
Years ago I bought a Hercules Steel Garden Hose from showtv.co.nz & it's been the best I've ever used. Light weight & kink proof.

zirconium, Jan 16, 10:33am
https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/gardena-comfort-highflex-unfitted-hose-13mm-x-15m-black-orange/p/350343

I've recently brought 2 of these (because that was cheaper than one long one, lol) to syphon drinking water from one tank to another. It doesn't even kink at the top of the tank where the hose bends over, so very happy with it. This is the 9/10 - old system or 4/5 new system anti-kink rating.

majoba, Jan 17, 5:12am
It is nothing to do with the way the hose is rolled. I have a hose I bought in 1980, it was moderately expensive but not in the order of the ones quoted above. It has always been wound on one or another of the hose reels I have ,It has never ever kinked and I still use it every second day or so and it is still perfect. I think it was Dunlop brand, I also have 3 others of varying quality which are all likely to kink if twisted at all, whether the weather is hot or cold.

arabelle, Jan 17, 8:29am
Agree, and I do the twisting when walking out with them from the large circle they sit on the ground in when not needed. Not built to take heat over 20o or the freeze under 14o and I dont know where that place is.

lythande1, Aug 24, 6:49pm
Which shows exactly that it is.