What to plant

midnight42, Aug 4, 11:13am
I have what I call the wilderness area in our garden it is part of the original garden, we live rural, it has lots of Rhodes and camellias but since clearing a lot of rubbish looks a bit bare, has quite a few big tress so doesn’t get much sun, just need a few bits and piece to fill it up a bit.

finelawns, Aug 4, 12:12pm
Sounds like a yucca would bring that garden to life. Have you ever checked out Gibbs farm on the Kaipara it has incredible pieces of art throughout its expanse, opens to the public throughout the year. I regularly get to see some pretty outstanding art pieces in gardens. Just don’t spend $280000 on a mirror like Auckland council idiots.

akl439, Aug 4, 1:57pm
Maybe underplant some of the trees with clivia, euphorbia, cyclamen, ferns if it's not too dry, plume flower (justicia carnea). All should do well with little or no sun.

colin433, Aug 4, 2:24pm
and for some colour later on, impatiens make a wonderful show for hardly any expense or maintenance.
For winter colour polyanthus. You could even find them now, in colour at the garden centres for about $1 a plant. good value. I bought mine as seedlings, and still waiting for colour from some of them, I wish I'd bought the potted colour

gilligee, Oct 11, 4:50pm
Good old hellebores and hostas as they love that sort of area and go well with Rhodies and camellias.