Painting over vynyl wallpaper?

bexta021, May 17, 9:09am
Can this be done?

bexta021, May 17, 9:13am
Even if the wallpaper is about 30 years old? I dont think i want to try to get the wallpaper off the wall? Its the origional paper!

bexta021, May 17, 9:18am
If i need to gibstop a corner in a bedroom where new gib board meets a vinyl papered wall is this possible without taking the wallpaper off? Hope this makes sense?

oh_hunnihunni, May 17, 9:43am
Test a corner. Sometimes the vinyl layer peels off the backing paper easily. If it does your job just got a whole lot easier. An alternative would be to use a relining paper over the lot then paint.

jan2242, May 17, 10:18am
I di that many years ago. Clean and sand it all over lightly. Give the joins a good sand so you can't feel them then a;int. Worked great as the paper was embossed and the pattern showed through.

bexta021, May 17, 11:00am
Thanks everyone. 👍

johotech, May 17, 11:11am
Why would you peel the vinyl off the backing? Then the backing will try and bubble off. Or you would have to strip the backing off as well. Then the walls might need skimmed before painting.

All that would just be making a whole lot more work for yourself.

johotech, May 17, 11:16am
Gib stopping the corner isn't a problem. Just do as little as possible.

As for painting the rest of it, just stick down any loose bits, clean it, and seal it with an OIL based sealer like pigmented sealer, or a specific sealer for wallpaper like Zinsser Wallpaper Cover-up.

If the pattern isn't covered after the sealer, then use another undercoat before the top coats. Otherwise your top coats may not cover.

Do not use a water based undercoat as the first coat!

bexta021, Nov 9, 7:09pm
Thats very helpful thanks johotech.