Painting a exisiting bench top

marcel14, Jul 12, 12:51pm
Our kitchen colour scheme is circa 1990's, however I like the layout of the kitchen just not the colour of the benchtop. Has anyone here painted their existing benchtop? I see that you can buy the special paint at Bunnings but I don't want to waste my time or money if it will look worse than what we have.

lythande1, Jul 12, 1:41pm
It won't last, never mind the look

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 12, 1:57pm
I collaged a benchtop years ago, applying umpteen polyurethane coats in order to protect it. It wasn't subject to wet, and it lasted for over five years. I looked after it mind you, I suspect ordinary wear'n tear in a family situation might be stressful on a painted surface, even with multiple varnish coats.

Though a resin layer might work.

Might be cheaper to just replace it.

amasser, Jul 12, 2:08pm
Never mind the evidence.

Have you considered installing a new top on the existing bench (without removal)? Would add about 50 mm. to height.

marcel14, Jul 12, 2:22pm
I have a kitchen company coming over to have a look next week to investigate replacing the bench top.

gabbysnana, Jul 12, 2:23pm
Just get a new benchtop. HAHAH I recently painted mine white and threw a pot of glitter at it to get the affect of sparkly granite. painted the old cupboards all the colours I like to find one that works and painted the wall all colours of proposed splashbacks. truely wounderous rainbow of yucky and some good colours.

articferrit, Jul 12, 6:35pm
Have a look at the wooden panels available at bunnings as bench tops when your there looking at the paint finishes.

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 12, 6:55pm
YES! Now that's my kind of kitchen, lol!

mrfxit, Jul 12, 9:24pm
Don't even bother to paint it.
You will be forever nursing it along & panicking every time someone puts a hot drink cup on it, never mind a hot pot.
Get it resurfaced or replaced.
Even Formica will last a lot longer then paint & not much dearer to apply.
Theres all sorts of other tough cover sheets around now.

sr2, Jul 12, 10:02pm
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who had actually used this product?

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/rust-oleum-diamond-white-benchtop-transformation-kit_p00295816

marcel14, Jul 13, 9:36am
Yes that's exactly the product I thought I would use but the black glittery one

sr2, Jul 13, 10:27am
Just found a review on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2wJRf67B8Y

trade4us2, Jul 13, 10:47am
25 years ago it cost me $20 for a piece of Formica from Three Brothers. They appear to have just closed down. I need some more Fomica, or maybe some large tiles for about $6 each.

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 13, 11:16am
Well, there goes my fantasy sparkly bench top. What a buzz kill, lol.

happychappy50, Jul 13, 11:52am
Rustoleum make some fantastic products,however for $235 you could try it,if it dos’nt work replace the bench top,added to which I haven’t had a fail with any of their products

becsnzshop, Jul 13, 4:11pm
We did ours with the rustoleum one from bunnings a couple of months ago - it has chipped in a few areas around the edge of the sink and we probably should have cut around the base of the swivel faucet with a razor as it has sort of bunched up / worn off around there - we have been doing up this place to sell it in a couple of months so it suits our needs as we can touch up those chips before we sell and we are expecting a new owner would put in the kitchen they want anyway but I wouldn't paint the benchtops in a forever home

mrfxit, Jul 13, 6:11pm
LOL, yea sorry but it's the reality.
Same goes for glass table tops, look pretty but forever worrying about someone banging a glass /cup down on it too hard or putting a pot/ cup thats just a little too hot on it etc etc

brightlights60, Jul 13, 8:03pm
Hubby came home with a pamphlet not long ago for a new paint for benchtops that give an awesome finish. Will have to find it. A friend who is an interior decorator did one of her flats and five years later it still looks fantastic, no chips or damage and you would not believe it had been painted. You have to use the right paint and do a good job or it would look awful.

supernova2, Jul 13, 10:46pm
I've noticed that lately on TV (Selling Houses Australia) they have been merrily spray painting bench tops.
I've always thought - nah that wont work.
Perhaps it does but it just seams wrong to expect a paint product to stand up to the bashing and crashing of a kitchen.

mrfxit, Jul 15, 1:32pm
If the benchtop could be prepped correctly AND it was a thermal responsive tough plastic coat that still hardens properly, then it would be worth a shot for a few years.

timberman, Jul 15, 11:12pm
I have used a bench coat product
Give your bench 2 undercoats (provided in kit)
Then apply 2 coats of stone coating
Then 4 coats of clear all in the kit
will take hot pots & it is fantastic about 350 for a kit I think

bella95, Jul 17, 2:45am
Some pretty clear instructions here. As well as their review 5 years on.
https://elisasramblings.com/2013/10/07/our-rustoleum-countertop-transformation-experience/

marcel14, Oct 20, 2:40am
Thanks everyone :-)
I think I will just save up a bit more and get a new bench