Painting advice please

aeromo, Dec 12, 5:31pm
House exterior is rusticated hardiplank which was stained to look like wood about 25 years ago. We are wanting to paint it.
Paintshop person said whole house needs to be primed first.
What do people think?

happychappy50, Dec 12, 5:56pm
A good sealer would suffice then a couple of coats with the paint & colour of your choice,the sealer should stop any “bleeding” of the original colour

aeromo, Dec 12, 6:08pm
I don't think it will bleed. It is faded out to almost white in some places. Was a water based stain that was made just for this type of hardiplank. We have chosen a dark almost black paint colour.

happychappy50, Dec 12, 6:15pm
In that case,just apply a couple of top coats over the original,give it a good wash first though to get rid of any flakey old paint,dust etc your new paint is only as good as the surface it is being installed on,just remember a dark colour is going to fade somewhat as our up rays are very intense in NZ

aeromo, Dec 12, 6:18pm
Oh good point re fading happychappy will have a think about that and thanks for advice

lythande1, Dec 13, 7:10am
Paintshop person wants to sell you lots of paint.
I painted over mine, used some particular stuff the shop (a hardware store) recommended, (can't remember what) and that was it. Just a bit of a wash first.
It went well, has lasted well.

richynuts, Jan 28, 1:54pm
Yep. water blast then prime with resene quick dry.