Neighbours and watering garden

colin433, Dec 10, 8:29pm
a few evenings ago I put the new sprinkler on our orange tree which is not far from the boundary.
About five minutes later the neighbour yelled out to tell us to turn the hose off, we were wetting his path.
We went out and he ranted that it had been going on for a couple of weeks and he was sick of it.
Well, I only bought that sprinkler that day, and up till then we'd been watering with a hand-help rose on the hose.
I couldn't believe his small mindedness. There is a tin fence between us, thank goodness, so we don't have to look at his artificial grass 'lawn' that his dog fouls.

I wonder how he coped with the water that would have landed on his path from the recent (most welcome) rain

j96, Dec 10, 9:36pm
why is he bothered about the path getting wet?

wasgonna, Dec 10, 9:44pm
Probably works for heath and safety.

pauldw, Dec 10, 10:30pm
In some areas the ground is so hard water just runs across the surface. Have you looked over the fence. Your water may be going under the fence.

docsportello, Dec 11, 8:17am
Install drippers. Quiet, mostly invisible, and they water deeply instead of all over the show with run-off. I can relate to other people's splashing running all over the place as I live at the lower end of a hill. People's broken guttering, pools, carwashing. anything gravity can get a hold of. It does get old fast. Makes me think no on cares about anything but themselves - which isn't always true.

Anyway, drippers are better for your plants too: you'll avoid diseases from wet foliage, and all the water is used, either stored in soil or taken up by roots. Towards the end of a hot day, leaves aren't open to taking in moisture through leaves, they're in preservation mode. And that has to be the main focus - the plants - and the elimination of a yelling fool only a convenient by-product.

lythande1, Dec 11, 8:37am
Well, I can understand the annoyance. My neighbour has some car business. he washes them and the runoff crosses our drive.

You shouldn't water like that anyway, save water, put the hose on dribble and do a long soak less often, watching it so it's not soaking the lawn and neighbours and wasting water on anything but your tree.

We have gardens too and that is what we do.

harrislucinda, Dec 11, 8:45am
must have had it high if it went over the fence no need to water the tops of trees just soak the roots while we are saving water then i cant see it running under the fence as mentioned as the ground would soak up so stop moaning

venna2, Dec 11, 8:58am
If there are water restrictions in your area, you shouldn't be using a sprinkler, should you? I can't understand why anyone would get annoyed at their paths getting wet, this seems trivial, unless your neighbour's concern is simply that precious water is being wasted. If he has a ridiculous artificial lawn, this is probably unlikely.

But the hose on dribble is a good idea. The only problem in Wellington, where I am, is that only hand held hoses are permissible just now, so I'd have to spend most of the day dribbling water around my fruit trees.

But then, with the hose on dribble, maybe no one's going to notice and prosecute me.

Oh, and I envy you your orange tree. No chance of orange trees in Wellington! I have feijoas, a Nashi pear, a fig and a young plum tree which I noticed this morning has borne its first plum.

spiritofgonzo, Dec 11, 5:56pm
I can understand the annoyance too. I like to wander out in my socks and if the neighbour is constantly wetting the dry paths it would start to tick me off pretty quick. Just to give some balance to the arguments

colin433, Jan 27, 4:52pm
to those concerned about us 'wasting' water, we're on a private deep well, water comes from about 200 metres under the ground, and is slightly tainted by the sulphur from White island. There are 25+ houses here, and my guess is that someone had been watering when I turned our hose on to just cover the root area, then if they turned theirs off, ours would have increased in coverage and would have hit the tin fence between us.

Nasty neighbours who told the holiday makers on the other side of them that they shouldn't be coming to their own house, they were too noisy.
Being a predominantly holiday area, it's just one of those things that have to be tolerated by those who'd like to be sleeping early evening.

I guess it takes all sorts, and obviously they don't realise how noisy they are themselves when watching TV, or when she's 'singing' with her out of tune voice.