New Garden

islandbreeze, Oct 24, 7:02pm
We building and are wanting to put in new garden around back of house . Have a 6ft fence and want to plant tropical type plants. very boggie and wet, should I hump up the soil, will that improve drainage. I say hump up Husband say sleave flat.

mlarkin, Oct 24, 8:27pm
If as you say the soil is very boggy and wet would suggest that you put some form of drainage directly in front of fence. Is there some seepage from above the fence from another property perhaps that would cause the wetness. We have this problem down our drive with seepage from another property and plants that don't like "wet feet" have been lost because of it. Perhaps a landscaper would have suggestions regarding this? Capricornirl

cantabman1, Oct 25, 7:25am
You could also try putting in a raised garden bed.
Just a boxed frame of outdoor timber at whatever size you want, then line it with black polithene, punching a few holes in the bottom.
Fill the first bit with rubbishy soil, then fill it up with mushroom compost.
A couple of trailer loads would do it depending on the size you build. It isn't expensive to buy.When you plant out ,just add a little Nitra FoskaBlue fert.
spellings not good.Best of luck!

blueviking, Oct 25, 8:21am
A raised garden as suggested would be best. The ground in Auckland has been soggy since April.After a few days of non rain, my lawn was still soft. First shower and the water was pooling again.I have a raised garden, but it too gets waterlogged.More rain on the way as well.

docsportello, Feb 27, 4:15pm
Use plants that like bog/marsh conditions. Only hump soil if you think it'd be a good feature for the garden. Otherwise, you could be "humping" a lot of dirt, and dirt is harder to hump than most people imagine. Gardening should be fun.