What is good to grow in pots over winter?

lillol, Jan 22, 10:51am
I've had great success with growing summer flowers in pots this year, but am thinking ahead to what I should plant and when for winter?

dbab, Jan 22, 12:17pm
Pansies are always good.

lillol, Jan 22, 12:34pm
OK I love pansies. We get shocking frosts so I guess what ever I plant will have to be frost resistant.

gilligee, Jan 22, 12:37pm
Bellis Daisy.

paora-tm, Jan 23, 8:28pm
Primula 'Fairy Primrose' and polyanthus are my main flowers during the dismal months. I'm in auckland with only occassional light frosts though.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 23, 8:41pm
Underplant with spring bulbs and pop your winter flowers on top. Double joy in the same pot.

lillol, Jan 24, 8:29am
OK thank you very much. I'm in Auckland too, but South Auckland and we get horrible frosts.

freebutterflies, Jan 24, 1:53pm
Ive grown pansies in pots in the states and they were snowed on. didnt bother them at all. Polyanthus too

macandrosie, Jan 27, 1:47pm
Little violas are pretty tough & give a nice bit of colour.

amph981, Jan 27, 4:44pm
I,m in South Auckland too but get no trouble with frosts, I plant out bulbs and over plant with polyanthus, pansies and violas as oh hunnihunni says also have wild type bluebells and various other things that appear from?. I have several concrete planter boxes which I put plastic boxes and pots in which means I can change things when they finish flowering and don't have to wait until they die back.

inatiz, Jan 27, 4:46pm
I am not much of a gardener so love pansies in the winter and as they drop their seeds up they pop next year. We have frosts and they don't seem to affect the pansies.

colin433, Jan 28, 1:07pm
be lucky to get pansies to self-seed these days, but violas are good value for this. The germinate in the cracks of the concrete too, and look so pretty

melcraig, Jan 28, 1:55pm
My neighbours have a whole heap of pots which they've planted fuschias in and right now they are looking amazing and beautiful. I'd always thought of fuschias as been strictly garden plants.

lillol, Jan 4, 11:58am
Oh that's a good idea. I love fushias. Thank for all your advice people. I am going to try pansies, violas, primulas and might purchase some bulbs too.