Water leak from neighbours?

fxx99, Jan 21, 12:26am
Did you find the source of the leak ? I have same prob in Wellington (karori). Will get my water tested soon.

huca1, May 7, 6:50pm
a quick question it appears there is water leaking underground from our neighbours section into our garden (under our deck!)
it's coming at a fairly steady trickle, we have turned our water off and it didn't change, if he turns his water off how long would it usually take to stop trickling?
I'm thinking a pipe has leaked and it just following gravity (hilly Welly) rather than burst their garden we pretty normal last time I was in there but we've had lots of rain all summer

hope that makes sense we're wondering whether if he turns it off and it stops/dries up that would confirm it is coming from them and how long that would take (hours? days?) since I assume the ground is saturated.

(FWIW all our pipes were CCTV'd after the earthquake in Nov and were fine)

cagivachick1, May 7, 7:06pm
could be a spring? possibly activated or moved by the earthquake?

grrrahaaam, May 7, 7:54pm
Presuming it is not the mains, if he turns off the water to his section at the meter, then opens a tap to release the water pressure in his lines it will stop straight away. Unless there is some other factor not readily apparent to me. Oh and presumably there will be a delay to account for the flow of water from the pipe that is leaking till it reaches your side. An hour maybe depending on the distance and obstacles?

pauldw, May 7, 9:38pm
In our street water comes down the hill through one property for up to a week after heavy rain. The council tested for chlorine to confirm that it wasn't a leaking pipe.

portly, May 7, 9:51pm
Or conversely if he turns off everything in the house using water and the meter still rolls over, he has a leaking pipe on his side of the meter. My neighbour had this happen frequently until he got the piece in the pipe with ALL THE JOINS replace with one sound piece

huca1, May 8, 2:02am
thanks guys

no meters here in Welly if it works I'll try and remember to post back how quickly

huca1, May 10, 10:08am
Just thought I'd update, we had our water off for a couple of hours, neighbour did too (different times!) made no difference

still trickling

waiting for plumber (and it's raining)

hammer23, May 10, 5:10pm
The plumber may come up with nothing except a bill for his time. You have to first find out if it is ground water or council water and a water test will confirm that.
In the summer the ground dries out and cracks will occur, then when the winter comes with the rain the water may follow a different path that it has in previous years. best of luck.

huca1, May 14, 5:27pm
Aye thanks
plumber came and said it was coming from a pipe on our section, spent all day digging along side of house nothing to see, except when we dig near neighbouring section and once we reach a certain level water comes tricking from her side, very strange and wondering who to call next.

Wondering about an underground stream but we are right on the top of a ridge although neighbour has a part of her back section that is higher. There is only 1 other person higher than her and then the ridge ends.

..pip.., May 15, 8:00am
Geotechnical engineers?

herc18, May 15, 8:43am
Water diviners?

koru67, May 15, 9:06am
The neighbor does not have a retaining wall with draincoil / novaflo or similar installed?.

pauldw, May 15, 9:21am
I once managed to find a leak in a stormwater pipe by wadding up some toilet paper in the water flowing out of the ground then working up from there tipping some food colouring into the various drains. When the drain was above the leak the dye became visible on the paper. Drainlayers should have more sophisticated tracer dyes available.

The WCC webmap should should any official service pipes above the area.

huca1, May 15, 10:45am
Don't get me started!
We have earthquake damage from Nov and are churning through the whole process, I'm convinced half of it is designed simply to allow maximum ticket clipping!

huca1, May 15, 10:48am
Thanks for all the input guys though
we started this thinking it would be a quick fix (quick= anything from 4 hours to 2 days) we have holes everywhere and a new stream but still no answer.

I'm off to google novaflo etc I suspect there is nothing in the retaining wall (it is small)

I like the idea of water diviners probably be most successful

bergkamp, May 20, 10:57pm
photo

timbo69, Jan 9, 5:07pm
Get a test done to see if there is chlorine in the water - about 1ppm = mains water, no chlorine = from the clouds or the ground