Hot water overflow pipe running

jenben1, Mar 27, 8:34am
My neighbour popped over to tell me our pipe was running down the roof. How does one stop this or do we need to contact a plumber?

nzjay, Mar 27, 9:04am
Before all the D.I.Y people arrive on here, It is most likely the pressure reducing valve (Ajax valve) has grit under the washer seat, or the washer has failed.
It is a simple job for a plumber to repair and reset the pressure correctly.
Do get on to it fairly smartly, because that is hot water running down the roof, that has cost you to heat. I have seen power bills triple if left for any length of time.
If you are concerned, and until plumber arrives, you could shut off the water to the valve if it is easily found (under cylinder in cupboard?) overnight, and during day when hot water not being used.

suzieq1969, Mar 27, 6:51pm
The washer is easy to do yourself. Google how to do it to see if it within your capabilities.

lythande1, Mar 27, 7:08pm
Maybe. OUr neighbour has that whenever they tun the mixer on. We have told them - it's the wrong mixer, but they don't care.

trade4us2, Mar 28, 12:41am
Do you have a vertical overflow pipe sticking out above the roof?
If you have, that is excellent. Don't let a plumber replace that with a pressure relief valve, as those usually have a spring in them that goes rusty and fails. I'm in the middle of ripping that out and putting in an ordinary overflow pipe like you probably have.

In answer to your question, there are a number of possible reasons. In order of ease of fixing:
1. The pressure reducing feed valve at the bottom of the cylinder may just need the screw underneath screwing anticlockwise by half a turn or so.
2. The diaphragm or rubber washer in the reducing valve may be perished or damaged. They are up to $15, but probably need a plumber to put in unless you are used to doing it.
3. The other possibilities are that you have a faulty pressure relief valve, which can have its own problems.

phalanax, Mar 28, 1:06am
Also dont forget that they are actually supposed to flow from time to time. thats why there their.

trade4us2, Mar 28, 1:09am
Only the low level pipe with a relief valve should be flowing (and wasting hot water), not the pipe up on the roof. That should never leak.

phalanax, Mar 28, 1:23am
Ok thanks for that . thanks also for the tips. much appreciated.

trade4us2, Mar 28, 1:28am
I'm right in the middle of fixing mine, for the fourth time. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix and cost me nothing, since I still have the copper pipe that got ripped out 20 years ago.

atlantis3, Mar 28, 9:02am
Not quite true as the water will expand up to approx 3% in a hot water cylinder - thats 3 litres every 100 litres - and that water has to go some where. I have seen these pipes dribble water many of a time doing what they are meant to do.
When checking pressure with a reducing valve adjustment you are meant to turn off the cylinder electrics so you don't get confused with the element heating the water (if it is on).

trade4us2, Mar 28, 9:46am
Well then a 3 litre tank at the top of the pipe would stop it overflowing!

aj.2., Mar 28, 9:49am
How are you going to balance / support that up there, and the extra weight of the water? , Not a good Idea.
In fact don't do it.

trade4us2, Mar 28, 10:06am
I can attach it to the house

aj.2., Mar 28, 10:12am
Daft thing to do.
PS, I was pulling your leg in the post above, but your reply does tell me a lot,

trade4us2, Mar 28, 10:22am
The weatherboards on my house reach 8.5 metres above the hot water cylinder.

aj.2., Mar 28, 10:26am
Just extend the pipe up above the Head that is needed, no water tank needed.

trade4us2, Feb 21, 12:55am
Then the tank could explode!