Lawn weed

cary14, Jan 17, 6:48pm
We have a weed in our lawn that is upright with a pinkish/reddish fleshy centre. A knife under it gets it out easily but we have a lot of them and just in the summer.It is not summer weed. Anyone know what it is or what spray will kill it.

scruff71, Jan 17, 6:59pm

maclad, Jan 17, 8:42pm
\

If it is a grass weed then you cannot spray it out as any spray which kills grass will kill your lawn, Manual removal is probably best. In future years good turf management can help to control these type of weeds by establishing a good thick turf sward so weeds cannot establish themselves. If you have bare patches the weeds will grow there so by keeping lawn thick this helps with weed control.

scruff71, Jan 18, 7:39am
In NZ's weediest city, I tried keeping the grass thick, both for moisture retention and weed control on my huge Council berm. However, the grass is kikuyu and weeds are blowing in from the west more, now that large tracts of land have been cleared to build houses, This season the Onehunga weed and dandelions are a major problem. I've had to scalp it back on 2 in an attempt to weaken these weeds which started in a small patch and gradually spread throughout the area, I plan to cover the berm with lime and apply Turfix before it becomes a problem next Spring.
Maclad, would it be of any benefit to apply the lime now, especially after the heavy rain we are about to have please?

lythande1, Jan 18, 8:47am
I have heaps of "weeds" in mine. Clover, daisys, dandelion, some I have no idea of the names, but the bees like a lot of them.

scruff71, Jan 18, 9:29am
I'd love clover and daisies once more but they have been crowded out by dandelions and prickle weed. I could pick the dandelion flowers for a herbal tisane but. roadside berm.

wine-o-clock, Jan 18, 9:55am

funkydunky, Jan 18, 10:26am
Do you mean it has a purple flower head much like clover? If so then it is probably Selfheal which is rampant almost everywhere. I am fairly certain a broadleaf killer will be ok on it.

cary14, Jan 22, 3:58pm
No wino it is none of those and no funky it does not flower. Only the centre at ground level is fleshy pink and then it has storky green leaves.

tegretol, Jan 8, 3:20am
Have you tried Yates Turfix? Pretty well buggers everything except that awful pora something weed. can't recall the exact name at this time of day. It certainly nukes even Onehunga weeds.