Would you buy solvents in small sizes if available

stretch3, Mar 17, 8:43pm
Hi, I am starting a business selling solvents in small (125ml, 250ml,500ml) starting with what I believe are high demand solvents: IPA (Brushing Alchohol) Acetone, Meths, Turps, Kero.
They are often only in 1 Ltr minimums. I often get asked (I work in hardware) for much smaller quantities - especially Brushing Alcohol for cleaning Commando hook surfaces, and IPA (Brushing Alchohol) for degreasing stuff. I have been told larger sizes both around the house, and out tramping are just to difficult to manage, do you agree? What other thinners/ solvents would you look for in small sizes?

budgel, Mar 18, 11:17am
I think there would be a small demand for the less common solvents, but doubt that there would be a viable business model given how many would have to be sold to make a profit. My experience with small quantities is that they become ridiculously expensive, so it is often more economic to buy larger sizes and put the leftovers on a shelf in the hope the rest will be used in the future.(eg paint.)

trudyg1, Mar 18, 11:26am
You should check the haz subs approvals for the products to make sure there are not minimum pack sizes by law. They may also need child proof caps etc

tweake, Mar 18, 5:55pm
you tend to use a lot of high demand solvents hence tend to buy it in bigger packs. its the odd ones you tend to want in small packs.

what would be really handy is a sampler pack. really small bottles of everything. i don't really need 6 1 liter bottles on the shelf which most of it will never be used. but its handy to have a small amount for small jobs.

the other handy thing would be to package brushes, cloths and gloves with it.

marte, Mar 21, 4:36am
Acetone would be a solvent that would sell in smaller bottles.
Mostly because its used as fingernail polish remover, Ethyl Acetate is the other polish remover used most often.
But, both of them are sold in the Chinese $2 shops.

Turps, I tend to buy two 1 litres at a time anyway.

Meths, 1 litres @ the supermarket for $4.30, nobody could beat that price.
Its my general cleaner/antiseptic/degreaser in one. I wash the empty bottle of kitchen cleaner out with Meths and add that to the new bottle. It gives it more 'bite'.

Hexane & Kero & IPA, I buy in 1 litres for whatever project I have going @ the time.

power_slave, Mar 23, 7:18pm
I think Acetone, Hydrogen Peroxide, & Rubbing Alcohol should sell in medium sized quantities - 250ml - 500ml bottles
The bottles available at chemist arent cost effective (& normally i need to buy a couple of bottles), but the sizes at hardware stores are often too big.
More common meths, turps, kero, etc i dont mind buying a litre

stretch3, Apr 23, 8:36pm
Thank-you peoples, really welcome this good feedback.
1/ won't be doing Turps in small size, I agree its already cheap as.
2/ Only child-proof lids and DG plastic bottles would be used. Because I work in Hardware industry, I'm not too stressed about business models (good thought though) will be supplying on a demand basis, directly if requested,
3/ I have access to a wide range of solvents in small amounts for decanting down into 250ml & 500ml sizes. Ask away.
4/ Good idea with multi-packs, was thinking that way too. What combinations would be wanted? Acetone, IPA and Meths? 250ml bottles?
5/ Not trying to compete/ match with supermarkets. Focuses will be only 500ml and 250ml, or 20L. Clubs, pharmacies, and smaller hardware shops like Hammer Hardware stores will be focus.
6/ keep thoughts coming please.
7/ Finally, uses: just what do you use them for? I will make a PDF of uses to back up solvent relevance. Have heard of some totally magic uses so far. Furniture polish/ cleaner is a good one: 1/3 Boiled Linseed oil 1/3 White spirits 1/3 Turps.if giving it a go, always use the golden rule! Test on a inconspicuous area first. Thanks, Dave.

jkp58, Apr 25, 11:59am
If doing this from home it would pay to check your insurance will cover you should there be a fire. hazardous goods have to be stored correctly and itemized . Health and safety rules regarding those kind of products have to be obeyed

andrew1954, Apr 25, 12:58pm
As mentioned it would pay to be well versed in all the rules and regs associated with the storage, decanting, transport etc of dg substances. i would assume you intend to buy in bulk and decant. what are the maximum qty of each substance are you allowed.
Do you intend to buy the stuff direct from the manufacturer or from a wholesale source, or just go to the local Bunnings and buy a few 5 litre packs and decant them into smaller containers.
Do you intend to operate this business out of yourback shed or from dedicated premises ? Mr city council and Mr insurance company will be interested !

tweake, Apr 25, 1:17pm
even 100ml bottles would be handy.
i would look at packs per use. ie a woodworking pack, a metal working pack, etc. or a solvent pack or oils pack.
of course you have to watch what combo you have for safety reasons, ie they are not going to react with each other should a pack get crushed.
for me solvent pack, eg methanol, ethanol, ipa, acetone.

lythande1, Apr 25, 3:26pm
No. I want 1l minimum, far cheaper that way. Like Isopropyl.

tweake, Apr 25, 4:52pm
thats already available and not everyone needs 1 liter.
if your using something regularly you buy it in larger quantities. but for things you rarely ever use a small bottle is more than enough.
i've thrown out 30 year old 3/4 filled bottles because the plastic has degraded and broke.

stretch3, May 4, 7:02pm
Agreed from both perspectives. A-bob-each-way aye, lol.
the containers are being sorted out at the moment.
I will use F/B for sales and orders to start with.
Yes, I have spoken with my supplier and they will ALSO send large sizes, 20L direct to people who order off me - plus freight of course - just under 10.00.
I have 3 retailers interested, as I live in Henderson - that's where I will start the retail side.
Might be able to work something out for you Lythande1
'Watch this space' lol.

rohoman, May 7, 8:55pm
A suggestion - a decent 'dip' paint stripping formula - something I can fill a bucket with and drop metal parts in to strip. Doesn't have to be fast. The chemicals used by the dip stripping companies are pretty nasty.
The various offerings at Bunnings etc aren't suitable as they're mostly pastes designed to be brushed on. I need something that's a liquid that will fill a 20 L bucket and isn't a wallet killer to get that amount.

stretch3, May 9, 9:53pm
Hey, Rohoman, I will find out for you. Thanks for the inquiry. Anybody else looking for something specific, ask away.
Have talked with a couple of suppliers now willing to assist.
As some have already noted, larger quantities need to be shipped directly to you from the supplier - happy to organize. Dave.

rohoman, May 16, 9:43pm
Thanks Dave - keen to follow up on this.

stretch3, May 23, 8:05pm
Hi Rohoman, checked with main supplier, no go! They don't have the demand anymore for the more liquid type strippers, so am checking with some of my niche suppliers. Dave.

rohoman, May 25, 8:54pm
Thanks Dave! I'll check back here again frequently in case you manage to locate something.

elect70, Nov 5, 6:52am
More plastic containers more waste