No fruit on some feijoas

dollydot, Mar 20, 4:36pm
We planted about 8 large grade feijoas about 5 years ago and are very happy about the fruit ripening now (will be our most productive years yet) but only about 4 of the feijoa trees have fruit. The others have none and never have. We planted several different species early to later fruiting. Some are self fertile, some not. Our neighbour has a couple of feijoas also so thought that would help. Should we be doing something to help pollination? We have lots of bird life in the garden, plus feed the feijoas each change of season as suggested.

Pic of the ones doing well https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/751084462.jpg

dibble35, Mar 20, 5:08pm
are they named varieties - the ones that arnt flowering? If they are just seed grown hedging variety you may never get fruit off them.

dollydot, Mar 20, 5:16pm
Yes they're all named varieties purchased from Palmers. I'll check with my husband who I think has a list of the names and the order we planted them in so we can identify each variety.

dibble35, Mar 20, 6:18pm
Next question would be do they flower? Seems a bit odd that they're not fruiting after all this time.

dollydot, Mar 20, 8:23pm
That's what I'm not sure about. We can't remember if they did flower and now have a while to wait until next summer to check on this. We just assumed that some feijoas take longer to start fruiting so were not checking their flowering but will be next time!

colin433, Mar 22, 1:52pm
Our feijoas have always fruited in the first year (just a few) then gone ahead in leaps and bounds. Was wondering if we should have thinned the mammoth crop, in a photo I took this morning there are about 25 fruit in the frame of the photo. Too late to thin them out now, but we will have a lot of everage sized fruit to pig-out on.
A friend took photos of their mammoth last year, five fruit was more thana her hubby could hold in two hands. I didn't see the fruit, but saw the photo

lillol, Mar 22, 4:24pm
Doesn't myrtle rust affect them? I'm sure there is some virus in NZ at the moment they are worried about ruining these plants?

harm_less, Mar 22, 4:37pm
Presently feijoas seem not to have been affected by myrtle rust despite them being potentially susceptible to it. Hopefully this apparent resistance persists.

lillol, Mar 22, 4:41pm
Yes, really worried about some natives too :(

kiwimade64, Mar 22, 4:55pm
How have you pruned them? They need to be 'open' so birds can fly through them. This also helps pollinate the flowers.

dollydot, Mar 22, 5:36pm
Yes we have pruned them and tidied over hanging branches. I think there's still plenty of room for birds and we do have lots of birds in the garden. Some feijoa shrubs have quite a lot of fruit ready to drop but several have no fruit at all. I guess we'll just have to accept that some shrubs may not produce. We can't replace them as part of a hedge although not fully touching the next shrub yet, would look very gappy if we replaced them with new shrubs as they'd be so much smaller.

dibble35, Mar 22, 5:44pm
Maybe make a note of the ones that havnt fruited and have a look next year if they are flowering. It may have something to do with when you prune them. I pruned mine really hard this summer as I get guava moth all thru them and I cant be bothered picking up the fruit, so this year hardly any fruit on them. Figure they must fruit on 2 year old wood,

dollydot, Nov 30, 6:07pm
Will do dibble, if the non fruiting ones flower next time we should be in business hopefully. We have only needed to give them a light prune so far just to prevent them spreading too far over a pathway. I guess we will do this as soon as they have finished fruiting but will read up on that to get the timing right.