Fence post depth?

gunhand, Sep 10, 6:45pm
I am going to put up a fence this summer, simple ribbed iron running longways. What depth do you put the posts in. All up prob about 900mm high.
So in CMs or MM how deep? Thanks.

clangie, Sep 10, 6:59pm
just buy 1.5m posts, dig about 5-600mm deep, that way you can trim the tps to suit, keep the post up off the dirt when the concrete goes in, old rule of thumb was for every 300mm ut of the ground-100mm should be in the ground, but i always go to 5-600mm anyway

stevo2, Sep 10, 7:01pm
We always put posts 600mm into the ground. Concrete not needed under post but ALWAYS put the non-cut end of the post in the hole. So if going 900mm high, buy 1500mm posts.
Edit : Actually what he said ^^^^

gunhand, Sep 10, 7:07pm
Excellent thanks. New about keeping off the soil but yea putting non cut end makes sense.
Is there a recommended spacing for posts? Although measuring the nearest similar fence is easy lol.

mark_g, Sep 10, 7:12pm
Pretty much as #2. 1/3 in the ground, 2/3 above ground. So 900 above ground means minimum 300mm in the ground. If its a solid fence (i.e. sheet iron as opposed to palings) then I'd put a bit more underground.

Posts at 1.4, 1.5 or 1.6m long (whatever you get depending on post w x d), and with your 900mm above ground you make your hole depth the remainder (500 or 600mm) underground.

Edit to add: Whoops - I see I'm just essentially repeating what the others have said.

gunhand, Sep 10, 7:17pm
Be using 4x4s, already started the collection.

happychappy50, Sep 10, 7:18pm
As it’s a solid wall,I would have spacing no more than 1.5 - 1.8,just remember you are relying on the integrity of the post to keep it all upright,if it is an area that gets hammered with wind adjust your spacing to suit

stevo2, Sep 10, 7:27pm
At only 900mm high you could easily space your posts at 2mt c/s and buy 6mt rails therefore 3 posts per rail.

gunhand, Sep 10, 7:34pm
Thanks. Ive done a lot of building, joinery etc over the years but oddly never done a fence. Its all very simple to do but always good to confirm some things.

stevo2, Sep 10, 7:40pm
Happy to help such a valued contributor to the Motoring Forum.

gunhand, Sep 10, 7:51pm
Valued contributor? I would if me Camry ever broke down lol. Although that would be asking for help.

jmma, Sep 10, 7:56pm
Have your top and bottom rail joins on different post's :o)

gunhand, Sep 10, 8:01pm
Oh ok, wouldnt have thought of that. Although being a long run fence I was going to put a 6x1 on the bottom for mower to bash then the iron (horizontal) then just a cap rail. Just be screwing iron to the posts?

jmma, Sep 10, 8:10pm
Sounds all good, forget what I said then :oP
Should get long enough sheets in the Camry lol

gunhand, Sep 10, 8:15pm
Yea prob stick 8m lengths on the roof with a bright sock hanging off each end. Have the kids hold onto it with their hands out the windows in the back, wife same in front and me with one hand holding and one driving. What could go wrong?
Although there is this funny thing poking out the bumper at the back with a knob on it that I sometimes whack with my shin. no idea what it is.

supernova2, Sep 10, 9:32pm
The thing with the knob is for tying the dog lead when you want to give it a bit of exercise.

fast4motion, Sep 10, 10:13pm
Hopefully they don't twist or bow before you get around to using them.

budgel, Sep 11, 11:05am
I wouldnt worry too much, it's a fence not a piano.

ebygum1, Sep 27, 10:52pm
The 6 x 1 on the bottom is called a gravel board, you need a minimum 600mm in the ground regardless of how much is above ground, I use a quick setting dry mix, rammed around the post and then watered. Never had a problem with this method. Good luck.