Pig, sheep proof a fence

lotsagiggles, Jul 7, 10:48am
I have seen the neighbour's pigs raise the fence up from its bottom and come underneath it. This was not a problem when we first bought the place (in April) because it was a big empty paddock. I have just bought a whole lot of fruit trees to go in it so want them to be safe. Any ideas?

golfdiver, Jul 7, 6:47pm
A timber rail at the bottom?

johnwood, Jul 7, 7:35pm
Yes . Ours jumped over the fence too when it got bigger. So hope they have a good rail at the top as well.

annies3, Jul 7, 9:39pm
Electric wire at the bottom middle and top will stop most animals, as long as the wire is live, they quickly learn to sense when it is off.

tweake, Jul 8, 12:50am
pigs are the worlds greatest escape artists.

big pig with a bit of a run up will demolish most fences.
electric is about the only way to go. just really hard to do the low one without it shorting out on the grass all the time.

nukhelenc, Jul 8, 3:09am
Talk to the owners of the pig and get them to sort it out would be the best starting point i would think.

kenw1, Jul 8, 5:36am
A sizzling hot barbq and a well aimed shot.

Bacon anyone.

Dont mess about Pigs will make your life hell. Bang.

rainrain1, Jul 8, 5:40am
Pig needs a ring in it's nose.
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel !

lotsagiggles, Jul 8, 5:52am
Yeah I thought we should mention that we plan to plant trees in the paddock and are worried about their pigs visiting. Just wondered if it was an easy fix. I figured something like an electric wire or something would work but had no idea how to even do it.

firefly001, Jul 8, 6:20am
Agree with all this. You can get a solar unit off here for about $200

kmole, Jul 8, 6:28am
Electric on their side!

kenw1, Jul 8, 8:07am
If you are hoping to keep a determined pig out, you will need plenty of jolt 24/7/365.

Still reckon bang, bacon anyone.

nukhelenc, Jul 8, 8:09am
I wouldn't say what plan i had in mind for my own property, to the pig owner
If ya seen his pig or what ever then all you have to say is, We have a few ideas for our paddock and it doesn't involved your pig, would be nice if you can keep it on your side, otherwise it might be costly mate.
Just be nice

zak410, Jul 8, 8:50am
It's quite nice to have an amicable relationship with neighbours, you know.

OP, you should ask your neighbour to put some corrugated iron, or electric fence, on his side of the fence.

kenw1, Jul 8, 9:25am
Yes, you are correct, the pigs are not your neighbour, it is your neighbours pigs that will rip the living crap out of anything they can get into.

Reading the OP, there are multiple pigs.

tui93, Jul 11, 6:34am
Wish you luck with the pigs. They root up the ground so it looks like it's ploughed - you won't believe the damage they can do. IMO electric fence is the only way to go. Perhaps you could get the animal control officer's opinion, so you know where you stand when you talk to your neighbour.

smallwoods, Nov 25, 8:57pm
First talk to the neighbour. i run a small number of pigs and put up a 4 rail fence between us to ensure they didn't visit him.I run a single wire between the bottom two boards, just were they will stick their snouts.
As for a straight wire fence, I run a double electric wire off the fence at the bottom and the other day saw 2 young boars hit it at 100 mph to get to the sows. Through the electric and then the 8 wire, sounded like a guitar going off, twang. Back in their own paddock the have just a 2 wire electric and they wont cross that.