Concrete nib for fence posts

angiyjt, Apr 19, 5:04am
How wide does a concert nib have to be? The aluminium fence posts have a flange so will be bolted onto the concrete.

tub4, Apr 19, 5:47am
I'd make it wide enough to use as a mowing strip, maybe 100mm each side of the fence

johotech, Apr 19, 5:48am
Sounds like you have balustrade posts, not fence posts.

If you want to use them for a fence, they will need much more than just a "nib" of concrete.

nzmax, Apr 19, 5:57am
As wide as you want it to be really. My suggestion though, would be to make it 40 or 50 mm or so wider than the flange on both sides (80-100mm wider than total flange base), and place bolts into concrete when fresh rather than drilling into concrete afterward and risk breaking the edges of the concrete out. Means you will have to be a bit organised and have post spacing set out etc. Make a template of the post base out of timber, steel plate etc for each post and either attach via boxing or push in after concrete poured.

omamari, Jan 31, 1:45am
I would think that you need more than a strip of concrete to hold the posts up, Where the posts are going to sit you need to dig a hole 200 x 200 at least 300mm deep, more depending on the height of the fence. Fill the hole with concrete