Garden grasses and taking cuttings off them

marbev, Dec 19, 6:53pm
Hi, I know not much about gardening, we have a small section of about 5 grass plants along drive, they are quite big now, have had them for over a yr, they were 15 dollars each plant,I would like to put similar grass plant along the back of house near fence, but dont have the budget to spend anotehr 60 plus bucks to buy more plants and then if they die its been a waste of money, can I take cuttings from these! and how woould I go about it! they are very well established and I think ifsmall clump was taken off one wouldnt even know, is there a wrong/right time of year to do so! thanks in advance

stevee6, Dec 19, 7:51pm
With grasses, you actually dig them up and split the the plants, replanting nice fresh pieces from the outside of the plant. Now is not a good time though - wait until autumn as it's not so hot and dry. You can also split them in spring.

piquant, Dec 19, 10:00pm
Seconded

marbev, Dec 19, 11:50pm
thanks, we will wait till autumn then, I really have no clues about gardening apart from spraying weeds,, pulling weeds out and mowing lawns lol. thanks heaps will pass it onto hubby as he had no clue either and he wanted to jsut go out and buy more, I knew cuttings would be teh way to go. thanks thanks

macandrosie, Dec 20, 3:31am
They do actually seed near the parent plant so have a look around the bigger plants. I'm always potting up red tussock to use somewhere else!

marbev, Dec 20, 3:58am
wonder if thats what we have, the grasses are reddish.

dibble35, Dec 20, 6:59am
If they were that expensive then they may have been lomandras - lush/green tuff as plant.Most of the native grasses are much cheaper. If they were lomandras then they are PVR'd which meansyou arnt allowed to propagate them. I dont really care if you do or not, just thought i'd tell you in case you went and told the wrong person

marbev, Dec 20, 7:54am
they were 15 dollars a plant so multiply by 5 and its 75 dollars which I thini is a lot for plant, and especially since the first lot died, and hubby replaced them ,second time around they survived,idont want to be spending that kind of money again.Iwill google the name you mentioned and see if they are the same,. have never heard of not being allowed to take cuttings of ones own plants and replanting in own backyard.

marbev, Dec 20, 7:56am
to be honest,Ihave just googled images for that plant and I see only green ones, 100's of pics of only green, our grasses are reddish. oh well Iguess I will never know what they are. and what are PVR'd plants! thanks

nitronz, Dec 20, 7:58am
with PVR you can divide your own plants.you just cannot sell them without first obtaining a license to do so

nitronz, Dec 22, 3:17am
PVR is "Plant variety rights".a copyright