Hydrangis (sp) I have taken alot of cuttings

jills3, Dec 8, 5:44am
I want to plant these plants to cover a large horrible bank.At the moment I have them sitting in a bucket of water, is this right or should I plant them straight into the soil,must admit they look unhappy at the moment.I look forward to replies, thanks.Also when I say cuttings,I just ripped them off my friends large plant (she was ok with this)

lilyfield, Dec 8, 5:54am

aeromo, Dec 8, 6:01am
I always put my cuttings into small bags of potting mix till the start growing then plant out.

laurenlee, Dec 8, 6:07am
I would cut the stem cleanly both ends,with two sets of buds,and plant in pots containing potting mix,with the lower buds buried.When they are well-rooted you can plant them out-Though I was able to plant them the following Autumn,it was two-three years before they were a decent size bush.They like semi-shade and good composty soil.A dry bank may not be suitable.

jills3, Dec 8, 6:32am
oh thank you so much for replies,willtake in this info and do as you recommend.

harrislucinda, Dec 8, 7:36am
andto keep thecolourLimeforpinksandacidforblueswhenyouhaveyourbushesflowering

mkbooks, Dec 8, 8:28am
jills, Rogers Nursery on Tidal Rd Mangere, has hydrangeas on special for about $4.00 this weekend-you will get bigger plants more quickly that way!

gardie, Dec 8, 4:34pm
Was just wondering which way round this went.My two bushes planted two years ago (one blue and one pink) have just flowered and they are both pink!

laurenlee, Dec 8, 5:09pm
If you want deep blue hydrangeas,you put aluminium sulphate around them.You can get it atgarden centres.Mkbooks-I have visited Rogers nursery and found it fascinating ! That is a good price for hydrangeas as I saw some elsewhere last weekend,and they were around $20.

harrislucinda, Dec 8, 8:08pm
gardiestartfeeding thepinkonetheacidyoucanbuyin apackatplantshopsandseeifchangescolourforyou nextyear

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 8, 3:07pm
I bought a cheap wee plant from Rogers last year, this year it is waist high with over thirty heads of fat pure white blooms - heavenly. My cuttings from my own pink plants made last year are knee high with four flowers each. To cover a bank I'd do both, get some of the Rogers plants and plonk in my owncuttings as well- variety is the spice of life after all.