Feijoas -cuttings

tansey, Aug 25, 12:48am
is it possible to grow new feijoa trees from cuttings?

samanya, Aug 25, 4:41am
I'm pretty sure you can. I accidentally knocked a small branch off a newish tree, so trimmed it up & popped it in the ground & so far it's looking as if it's growing.

gbking, Aug 25, 6:54am
that's how most are done commercially, not a real easy one to do, best when the seasons new growth has hardened off, Nov-Jan, if you can use rooting hormone, heat beds and a misting system. Even commercial growers have variable results. If you know the variety you want to grow it will probably be easier to buy one ready to plant and save yourself a couple of year waiting

tansey, Aug 25, 10:40am
i have one in the back yard but just thought I'd like to see if one would take. Thanks for the tip on when best to take the cuttings. I will wait a couple of months.

arabelle, Aug 25, 10:20pm
I did some from seeds very simple, just plant in a pot then separate out, would be I guess a year behind cuttings but get about a 85% take

annies3, Aug 25, 11:31pm
Rooted layerings are really easy if you have branches near enough to the ground, just ensure they are in good contact with the ground pin down, and wait for growth, when they have produced roots then separate from the mother tree, and allow to continue to grow for a week or two to be sure then lift and transplant to permanent position.

cantabman1, Aug 26, 12:15am
That is what I'm doing; the branch is layied up, and am waiting for it to root.

tansey, Sep 1, 6:37am
Great information. I will try the laying idea as there are good flexible branches near the ground.

vinylflooring, Sep 1, 7:18am
What do you mean layied up? Is that different from root layering?

fhpottery, Sep 3, 6:34am
Oh hi, hey can you pick out the seeds and just pot up? I wonder how long they would take to fruit. I think feijoas are a super fruit. Love them

annies3, Oct 11, 1:44pm
Looks like a typo to me.