Are Solo garden sprayers worth the extra?

skifflebar, Nov 6, 6:35pm
x1
After spending an amount of time spraying the lawn with our cheap old garden sprayer I got to considering purchasing something better with a wide spray tip and that has others for spot spraying and the like.
There is so much choice but what stands out is the Solo units. They're more expensive than the competition by a healthy margin.
The 456 model appeals as it has a wide opening for access and is squat so maybe more stable and less likely to tip over when resting on the lawn.
My question is; are the Solo sprayers worth the extra and is their reputation well founded?

maclad, Nov 6, 6:45pm
You cannot beat a Solo sprayer. Superior quality and last forever with replacement parts, (if you should need them), easily available. i would use nothing else. Well worth paying the extra as long as you look after them and rinse out completely after spraying.

stevo2, Nov 6, 6:46pm
I bought one and they are FAR better than any of the others I've tried.

alfred011, Nov 6, 11:09pm
What ever you do, don't buy 1 of the blue domestic models ,they are piles of crap ,if you buy a solo get the 475 diaphragm pump type knapsack .If you flush it out with fresh water every time you use it you will have years of trouble free use ,leave water in the tank about 30mm deep to keep the rubber parts wet ,don't leave chemicals like 30 seconds in them or chlorine based products as they will wreck the diaphragm in a week .The swissmex knapsack is as good price them up at a farm supplies store for the best price sometimes they are down to $165 .

alfred011, Nov 6, 11:16pm
Those 456 models are useless buy a backpack knapsack ,those 456 only pump air into the bottle usually have a lot of problems not holding air ,the knapsacks pump the chemical into a pressure chamber and give very little problems,i have fixed 100s most problems farmers have are caused by the marker dye they use , or using dirty water out of creeks and troughs .

cantabman1, Nov 7, 7:34am
I also use a Solo Sprayer. Good old German quality; you cannot beat it.
Went through heaps of cheap sprayers before , and all crapped out.

skifflebar, Nov 7, 8:36pm
Thanks for the advice Alfred but there is just the problem that I am unable to use a knapsack sprayer. So that option is out.
Which of the bottle type units are good?

alfred011, Nov 7, 8:51pm
You used to be able to buy gardena ones made by nylex that were good quality and the matabi ones are ok as well ,

skifflebar, Nov 7, 8:58pm
Thanks Alfred; I will check them out. I have a couple of old Fynspray units that have good s/s and brass lances. Maybe i should also look to making a battery powered unit on a small trolley.

tim41, Feb 17, 5:56pm
if your spraying lawns get a lawn boy,best thing for that http://www.metrogreen.co.nz/