Greens in the vegie garden

steptoe72, Dec 19, 5:54am
Well into 2nd year of having a vegie garden.ButSalad mix is very sour to taste . brocili (sp) grows well , have had 2nd cutting off plants and look like more to come. .wht is the salad mix sour !.

jody23, Dec 19, 6:25am
Our mixed lettuce we grew from seed was very bitter which was a shame since it grew so well, maybe just the type of lettuce

steptoe72, Dec 19, 6:28am
Same.we just brought a packet of salad mix seeds , fancey lettuce etc.I was thinking, is it because most of the fancy stuff is growen under lights that we buy . being hydroponic (spelling) . I took it all out today O well good for the compost bin.

jody23, Dec 19, 6:49am
We bought some seedlings from the garden centre and they were fine, must be the seeds, our were also the fancy mix ones

jezabeel, Dec 19, 6:56am
Hope not id shoot the pricks

kateley, Dec 19, 7:18am
I've heard that lettuce can be bitter if it's been under stress, usually if it's missed a watering at some stage.
And also that if you put a bit of lime around they will be sweeter

gardie, Dec 20, 3:42pm
Lettuce needs to be grown quickly to keep its sweetness.Plenty of water and a good fertile soil.I usually give mine a liquid feed about 2 weeks after planting and then just water until I start picking.I put more seeds into seed raising mix in punnets every 3 weeks or so.I have some I'm picking, some almost ready, some seedlings just gone in and now I'm reading to plant a few more seeds.This way, I have an abundance of lettuce and once one lot is ready, the older stuff goes to the chooks.