Could i have some help regading what to plant :)

jonowelsh, Mar 26, 2:17pm
We have a very shady little garden area in the corner along one side of our house. It pretty much never gets sun but we need to do something with garden. Is there any plants that would work down there that are very low maintanance and pretty much do their own thing?

Any help greatly appreciated as im not much of a gardener lol

melford, Mar 26, 2:23pm
Pungas underplanted with ferns and winter roses and small flaxes

samanya, Mar 26, 2:31pm
No plants are really maintenance free, but the pungas would look great & another idea for colour to 'lighten it up' is hostas. There are some lovely colours & heights, but they do disappear in winter.

articferrit, Mar 26, 3:19pm
renga renga lillies mass planted, they grow in the shade at my place under native trees.

samanya, Mar 26, 3:50pm
Gosh, I've never had much luck with them & I wondered if they didn't like our climate. might give them another try.

jonowelsh, Mar 26, 6:45pm
Thanks :) I know nothing is maintanence free, but as little as possible would be great lol. I shall look into the ones mentioned :)

samanya, Mar 26, 6:56pm
Hey jono . let's know what you decide on. Shady gardens can be very beautiful.
Have you thought about a small pond? I had a shady little pond with ferns & pungas & even though I couldn't grow waterlilies . it was very special & a real feature of the small area & never got algae because of the shade.

jonowelsh, Mar 26, 7:04pm
Would love a little pond but no cant put one in as its part of a walkway. Im thinking hosta's as my mum has some she can share lol so thats a win win and possibly a fern, im undecided on that one

happychappy50, Mar 26, 7:14pm
Hostas are ideal,have them in a shaded bush walk,they will multiply as well,try some ferns as they will love it,being shaded it would be apt to be moist . good luck

mark_g, Mar 26, 7:55pm
Kawakawa is an understory plant and does well in shaded areas. Not stunning to look at, but if you're into herbal medicine it's a good healing plant. Made into teas and balms for itchy, dry or sensitive skin. Used for eczema, dermatitis, bites, burns and almost any wound.
Grows well in same areas as ferns.

trade4us2, Mar 26, 8:32pm
clivia miniata likes the shade and has nice flowers

jonowelsh, Mar 26, 8:34pm
oh that looks pretty, do they require much work?

greyway21, Mar 26, 9:45pm
Fuschias. Numerous varieties to choose from to get the size and flower colour you like.

happychappy50, Mar 26, 10:06pm
Yes to clivias as well,have white & orange,hardy as anything,no work

trade4us2, Mar 27, 12:06am
No work at all, they just don't like a lot of sunlight. As it happens I have Kawakawa growing there too.

jahydie, Mar 27, 7:06pm
Mum also has winter roses you can have. 😃

jahydie, Mar 27, 7:07pm
And maybe even a fern 😉

jonowelsh, Mar 27, 8:14pm
Lol shopping in Mummies garden. the best value ;)

peri5, Mar 29, 8:36pm
Cineraria like shade (and caterpillars like cineraria). Japanese anemones like shade and white ones look great in darling areas.

peri5, Mar 29, 8:37pm
Cineraria like shade (and caterpillars like cineraria). Japanese anemones like shade and white ones look great in dark areas. (Not 'darling' - thanks Google!)

fait.accompli, Nov 22, 2:46pm
Hostas are great in the summer months but they hibernate for winter and then you're left with an empty patch. Renga Renga lilies are fanastic in shady area