Painting Interior

asue, Apr 11, 11:38am
Hi all, I've just been with a colour consultant and she has advised us to paint our interior (new build) ceiling all white, then the walls, window frames, doors, skirting boards all the same colour (thorndon cream)? Would this be right? Goes against the grain no highlighted trims etc. Thoughts please.

amasser, Apr 11, 11:59am
In a few years, she'll tell you something different. Your home = your choice.

annies3, Apr 11, 12:27pm
If you paint the whole place the same colours it never looks wrong as the light from different directions alters the appearance of the colour,
We have done this in this house but our ceilings are mostly T&G not white just natural Rimu.
But as above its your decision.

rbd, Apr 11, 4:25pm
Depends on the house and style. Whether you have coving or none.

Personally I hate cream as it looks like a smoker's home.

don735, Apr 11, 4:56pm
good decorating is decorating(painting) that you dont notice walls,windows etc have very little personality Its what you have in the room that makes it or gives it your touch of personality.Painted a new built a few years back the colour consultant caroline who posts on here used thorndon cream on the light side of the house and half thorndon cream on the dark side looked ok when I had finished and looks heaps more exciting once owner put wall hangs drapes etc up caroline used her knowledge of the owner and her experience in the choosing of the colours. Resene still provide colour consultants services in most areas

hound31, Apr 11, 5:01pm
There are differnt shades of cream. I personally don't like the "yellow" creams. But my home is painted in Dulux "Stowe White" which has a touch of black in the mix and is not a yellow tone. In some lights it has an almost green tinge. Love the colour although I'm not sure if it;s still available.

jkp58, Apr 11, 5:14pm
the trims will look different due to sheene . Resene has a board painted with exactly the same colour from flat paint to high gloss to show you how the same colour can look different in the various sheenes. I would assume you will use low sheene on the walls and semi gloss on trim so they will look different

gph1961, Apr 11, 5:46pm
remember the higher the gloss level the easier to clean but shows imperfections more

strathview, Apr 11, 10:42pm
The trims look different because they are usually an enamel gloss paint. We painted our doors a darker colour and it looks good too. If you don't like her ideas go with your likes. I knew what I didn't like so ours all come together in three hours. Was so easy the colour consultant thought we were great to work with. We went from a character home full of colour to a new build with one wall colour one door colour and white ceilings. Every room is a different colour with the furnishings and it all coordinates.

lilyfield, Apr 12, 7:56am
Love it- so easy all in one colour, no cutting in, been the custom in europe foreever.landlords love it, much cheaper with bulk paint jobs, easier to touch up, many more good reasons Not to use accent colours

articferrit, Apr 12, 8:46am
Do you like what they have suggested? If not go and have a look at show homes, magazines, library, printerest or recently painted friends homes, and see what they have done. I have ceiling, soffits and window/door trims all the same villa white, and the walls and skirtings all same 2nd colour throughout the whole house, with all wooden doors. Look at trends, but if you are going to live with it have what you actually want and like.

piquant, Apr 12, 10:50am
For what it is worth - here's my two penneth. I've always felt that one's home should be not only a reflection of its owners' personality but also is always kept somewhat in keeping with the era of the build. As yours is a new build - I suspect there will be an element of open plan - moreso than if it were an older, existing building. Whilst there are some very pertinent points in the posts so far - it really boils down to - are you a follower of whatever fashion is current (as in post #2) or do you wish to stamp your own mark on your own home? I suspect the latter, otherwise you would not have posted.
There is, however, a very relevant point that should be made should you decide to add your own touches - and that is that whatever you do - there should be a flow to it, using colours that do not complement one another as you go from one area to another simply doesn't work. Something like using differing tones of the same colour could work nicely in an open plan living, dining, kitchen - but you also need to look at your furniture - does that all flow as well? I agree that furnishings play the greatest part in a room's decor - however, the wrong background colour can be truly annoying. So, don't be a slave to another's (albeit professional) advice unless you are truly happy with it - because if it's the "current trend" - just think how many other people will be getting exactly the same recommendations.

bassmo1, Apr 12, 9:52pm
I'm not a follower of fashion and have a new house to decorate, we have a theme and chose half Rice Cake for the walls, 2 feature walls are Paris White (its a green-blue, very pretty) and some wallpaper, the ceilings are white, some accessories are orange.

tegretol, Apr 16, 9:55am
Generally, the old-timers suggest that you do the walls in a 1/4 color, the architraves in a 1/2 colour and doors/drawer fronts in a 1/1 color. Otherwise it looks pretty bland and the next 'Color Consultant' (whatever they are) will tell you the opposite.

Your choice.

asue, Apr 16, 12:08pm
Thanks guys - sounds like anything goes - my choice.

sanders4, Apr 16, 8:47pm
I have painted an appartment in 1/2 thorndon cream for a retired all black and it is not a modern colour - too cream in my opinion

ksam, Nov 24, 6:15am
What's the 'retired all black' got to do with anything?