Prep before painting

colin433, Feb 13, 5:31pm
our house is 13 years old. It's in good nick at the moment, but there is a chalky layer that wipes off when rubbed gently with a cloth.
I guess it's due to be repainted. (damn)
We have usually moved on by the time this happens, but we're not moving this time, so need to do something. I guess
i know a waterblaster is not the thing to do, so what do we do, a spray with something that will take that bloom off, then a light hose. or?
And if it is as I think, what concoction do we use.
85 year old male says he will do the painting, i say he WILL NOT!
Can't afford a new paint job AND a funeral, LOL

omamari, Feb 13, 7:01pm
Use a hose and Scotch Brite pad, that will take the powder off, then if the paint is sound just repaint

trade_menow, Feb 13, 7:06pm
a spray with something ---- to prep for painting LMFAO.
no you'll need to sand , sand and sand some more - or if you want to go the full hog . strip it back to bare timber ( Expensive )

jkp58, Feb 13, 7:52pm
wash with resene house wash instructions on the bottle easy as

gabbysnana, Feb 13, 7:57pm
Sugar soap, paint is what enamel or acrylic.?

trade4us2, Feb 13, 8:26pm
If you keep the waterblaster a foot or more away from the paint it should be OK. If any paint comes off then it needed painting anyway.
I am using Wattyl Solagard, which is really cheap now at $120 for 10 litres.
It's white, which is the only sensible colour anyway as it stays cool. And it's cheaper.

colin433, Feb 14, 11:15am
I didn't ask for sarcasm.
the condition, other than the chalkyness, is perfect. Someone did a good job 13 years ago.

colin433, Feb 14, 11:16am
thankyou, this is the advice I was looking for. However, I guess resene only comes from a resene shop, something we don't have in our little town, but M10 will probably have something similar now I'm on the right track.

kacy5, Feb 14, 12:21pm
Not all of us are 'tradies' and that is why Colin asked the question. I expect she knows more on a few subjects than you that would have her 'LMFAO' with your questions although she may be to polite to mention it.

dibble35, Feb 14, 4:46pm
But you'll still have to do a very light sand wont you? Was reading a - how to paint a house thread a little while back and they said a light sand allows the new paint to 'stick' better than if it was painted onto a shiny glossy paint surface. As long as your old paint is in sound condition and it sounds like it is a light sand would do.

colin433, Feb 14, 4:48pm
thankyou kacy5.
I have had many a man comment that they wished they were as handy as I am. (was)
Taught a so-called professional how to apply sealer, upwards, not downwards so the point of the nozzle deals with smoothing it off. no need for fingers afterwards as some MEN do.
Also taught a young guy how to turn the trowel around to get plaster on the back of it, then swing it round again to apply said plaster to the wall. He was a LMFAO example till I put him straight.
I worked as a 'housekeeper' for a farmer with about 8000 acres, but 80% of my work was on the farm. HE didn't teach me much, but I taught a lot of his 'official' farmhands.
Worked for my father (reluctantly) but learnt a lot from him. I helped build a lot of concrete block pigeries, and did all the pointing when the main job was done.
Need I go on. LOL Pity handywomen grow old, and develop arthritis and other complaints that prevent them from doing their own jobs, and I will be very twitchy when (if) I find someone to do the painting job. One thing I have never done much of, other than on an easel. (the arty farty stuff)
Oh yes, and to blow my own trumpet before I sign off.
I won a gold award at the second Ellerslie flowershow, all those years ago, for a floral design. Not many can boast of doing that

colin433, Feb 14, 4:51pm
actually the painter will be expected to do that, I was just getting some facts before employing someone.
I've located another handywoman who will probably get the job,, she and her 75 year old father who will hold the ladder LFMAO
In fact we have trestles and a plank!

johotech, Feb 14, 5:21pm
Resene house wash or Dulux prep wash.
Spray it on then scrub with a broom, or apply directly out of a bucket and scrub with a broom.
You need to leave it wet for 10-15min, then wash off.
It's all in the instructions.

After that, it's usually a good idea to lightly sand at least the flat surfaces and any flakey paint. I usually use a small orbital sander that takes the paper that you can buy in a roll (much cheaper than velcro type papers). Be careful not to sand right through the paint on edges & corners etc.

Use a good quality paint like Resene Sonyx, Dulux X10 or Solagard

deanatt, Feb 20, 9:28pm
Actually our local Mitre 10 does Resene - they do Resene, Accent and Valspar

colin433, Dec 20, 4:55pm
Better equipped than our little local then. Pays to live in civilisation, not paradise I guess.