Clivias and where to plant

kaw12, Sep 25, 5:13pm
How much water do you give them in Canterbury ? Mine is in a pot and has survived the winter but now is looking a bit droopy.

harrislucinda, Sep 25, 6:50pm
don't water from the top as rot the bulb if droopy might be a bit dry

heidi9, Sep 21, 4:22pm
Ok so I want to plant them as a boarder but the garden is in full sun. Also I live under a mountain and get hail, sleet and heavy frost. So am I wasting my money and time thinking about using clivias?

dibble35, Sep 21, 4:31pm
yep. Is it the colour you like or the strappy leaves - may be able to offer a few other options

junie2, Sep 21, 4:58pm
Most of the notable gardens in Taranaki have clivia. It surprised me but I was assured they love that area close to the mountain as long as they are in shade and under protection of bigger growth. In Chch we have heavy frosts, so I keep my clivias in large pots and move them under cover ( frost cloth under trees or in glass house ) for winter. No, I don't think they'd like full sun at all.

maclad, Sep 21, 5:37pm
Clivias like dry shady spots

bottynoodle, Sep 21, 5:45pm
Also named for Clive of India and pronounced like Clive ee ah.

oldbnz, Sep 21, 6:55pm
Mine are flowering now

harrislucinda, Sep 21, 7:12pm
I lost 2 of mine thru frost and cold even on porch so managed to get 2 more so now in the shed in pots

articferrit, Sep 21, 7:37pm
Mine have just started flowering too, they are in the ground under trees, so not in full, all day sun, get snowed on in winter, but we dont get frosts either.

happychappy50, Sep 21, 8:42pm
I have them growing very happily in a shaded area,I grew them in Australia as well & were very happy on the shaded part of the property

clothesman, Sep 21, 9:39pm
Mine, six months in the ground, got smashed by the frost in Auckland. I think maybe 3 out of 5 might survive.

beebb3, Mar 19, 4:05pm
I live not far from bobcat and have mine on the verandah here inland Canterbury. They are fine, lots of flower buds appearing, have survived the cold frosts etc. Such a pretty flower, and the strappy leaves when cleaned look stunning. Mine originally came from Pukekohe, they grow well up there. Neat plants.