Alstomeria question

freesia, Apr 17, 3:10pm
I have inherited some nice alstomeria plants that are currently in pots. Is now the right time to plant them in the garden and how big may they grow? I am in Nelson.

hazelnut2, Apr 17, 3:33pm
Alstromerias should only be grown in pots unless you want them to take over your garden above and below ground! They've love Nelson as your frosts aren't as severe as South Canterbury's.

I have miniatures, whereby the stem length is only about 10cm, but I have had others which were about 1M tall! They grow from white tubers underground and can spread by seed as well.

eljayv, Apr 17, 3:56pm
I’m trying to get rid of some . they are a difficult thing to clear out.

maclad, Apr 17, 4:14pm
It would depend if they are old varieties or the new small tame ones which do not take over. I have had mine 5 or 6 years and they have not become a problem. Yes you can plant them now.

lythande1, Apr 17, 7:54pm
Noxious weed. Keep in the pots

lillol, Apr 19, 3:47pm
I have them in the garden, have never been a problem. I planted some tubers about a month ago and they are now coming through. Looking forward to seeing them flower.

tonijo, Apr 19, 5:36pm
Depends on the variety. I have a Pink one (looks like "Pink Star") - it's vigorous but easy to control with a spade :-). The dwarf varieties are just lovely. I think the variety Pulchella can be a bit invasive.

quiz3, Apr 21, 8:40pm
Yep pots definitely.

harrislucinda, Apr 21, 10:00pm
lovely flowers but take over the garden i cant get rid of mine different colours

colin433, Nov 21, 10:44am
I had them in the garden, used to say they had roots that went down to China. impossible to eradicate completely if they are the old fashioned ones with the long stems. The newer varieties seem to be easier to control, we dud some out about six months ago, still no sign of them.