Can anyone identify this plant?

monofoil, Jan 27, 11:24am
Hi, does anyone know what this is? It sprouted in the middle of my wildflowers. The plant is like a pumpkin.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/718860910.jpg
Thanks

monofoil, Jan 27, 11:28am

harrislucinda, Jan 27, 11:53am
looks like apple cucumber

arielbooks, Jan 27, 12:41pm
gourd?

gbking, Jan 27, 12:58pm
gourd

lythande1, Jan 27, 2:44pm
Type of pumpkin.

maclad, Jan 27, 2:51pm
I would go with gourd, inedible, but can be dried and treated/preserved and used for ornamentation/decorations. You would have to google how to tho. Some gourds are very pretty with lovely colours and last ages when preserved.

monofoil, Jan 27, 2:54pm
Thanks, I thought it was a cucumber until I cut it open. Gourd sounds possible!

spiritofgonzo, Jan 27, 4:29pm
i always thought gourd was just a generic name of an overgrown fruit like a cucumber or zucchini where it become inedible (or not nice to eat), and so can be used to make water bottles or vases or whatever. Is it an actual plant? Someone please let me know

maclad, Jan 27, 4:32pm
I am absolutely positive that gourds are out there on there own and not a mistake or badly grown plant. Sure you can purchase seed for them from Kings seeds. They are many and varied.

articferrit, Jan 27, 4:50pm
the gourds from kings seeds are great, They are really variable and interesting to see what youve grown, you need to cut them with a stalk, dry them in a windy, dry, place on wirenetting and it takes a while, they grow a mould on the outside while drying and you need to be careful not to breath it in when rubbing the mould off, they are dry when the seeds inside rattle, and then last for years, and all different colours, sizes and shapes.

tegretol, Jan 27, 6:18pm
Rhinocerous's Testicle?

monofoil, Jan 27, 7:38pm
aren't they grey?

gph1961, Jan 27, 7:54pm
monkey nuts?

monofoil, Feb 6, 5:04pm
So now the 'fruit' has turned a dark yellow. Still don't look edible!

maclad, Feb 6, 5:24pm
monofoil wrote:
So now the 'fruit' has turned a dark yellow. Still don't look edible![/q
Gourds are not edible, they are purely decorative as intended they should be, with the right treatment to preserve them

articferrit, Feb 6, 5:55pm
IT IS A GOURD! you do not eat them!, You dry them off and they look pretty in a bowl.

maclad, Feb 6, 7:00pm
Exactly

monofoil, Dec 30, 12:43pm
Yip, that is mentioned earlier, as I responded. However looks nothing like any of the images I have found (if the internet can be relied upon) and the other odd thing is where and how it came to be there. There are so many they are literally going to fill my rubbish bin.