DUX QUEST question

soft_furnishing, Jan 19, 7:19pm
Does any one know when they stopped using this?

maclad, Jan 19, 8:11pm
Why do you ask, this caused me headaches and lots expense when I moved into my current home.

soft_furnishing, Jan 19, 8:35pm
I ask because I can only find on the net that it was withdrawn in 1987 yet it is in my daughters house that was built in late1988 so trying to confirm dates, who knows maybe if it was withdrawn before 1988 and someone continued to use it we may have a claim? It was raining in her her house 2 weeks ago and this was the 1st time we had even heard of the stuff :(

bryshaw, Jan 19, 11:03pm
Many insurers exclude Dux plumbing of that period, and you can't blame them.

soft_furnishing, Jan 19, 11:10pm
Yes but what period? when did they stop using it? Like I said, what I found says it was taken off the market in early 1987 and the house was built late 1988.
Also if you didn't know about it how can you declare it? It is a 2 story and plumbing is in the walls and Ceiling/floor. building report says nothing about Dux quest and the Lim report says nothing?

soft_furnishing, Jan 19, 11:11pm
This was he first time I had even heard about Dux Quest so not sure how people are meant to look out for something you know nothing about?

Sucks really :(

rbd, Jan 20, 12:57am
A claim against who? The plumber that installed it?

Did your building inspection report identify it?

happychappy50, Jan 20, 6:09am
Within the industry it is common knowledge that dux quest has a limited lifespan,I have it in my place but replaced it when I renovated the bathroom,just the internal walls,but still have under the house where access is possible & I can keep an eye on it . house is 25 yrs old.There are many options these days but it went with copper inside the walls.Rats & mice love it & will chew through it if you use baits to poison as it makes them thirsty,they detect water in the lines & chew through it.Have seen this on many occasions both here & Australia.Your building inspector should have been aware of this as this was common in that era of your build.

pauldw, Jan 20, 7:42am
Rat poison doesn't make them thirsty and they wouldn't have a clue what's in the pipe. Rodents have teeth that grow all the time and they just chew to keep the teeth short and sharp. The usual poisons cause weakness from internal blood loss and the rats tend to stay in the nest rather than go anywhere.

A lot of the original owners of Dux Qest (no u) were compensated but just kept the money rather than replace the plumbing.

grrrahaaam, Jan 20, 8:00am
My house was built my best guess Autumn/winter 1988 it had Dux Quest as did many other houses on my street built similar time. Can you make an insurance claim?

soft_furnishing, Jan 20, 9:18am
Will if a product is withdrawn because of known problems and they continue to use it then why not?

No the building report did not identify it as stated above :(

soft_furnishing, Jan 20, 9:19am
We are trying to make a claim but it is not a simple ride. never is when it comes to water damage in a house :(

cinderellagowns, Jan 20, 9:35am
I suggest you ask this in the Real Estate forum on here - lots of people with expertise on these types of issues hang out there.

flagheaven, Jan 20, 10:01am
I really think the pre purchase "builders report" SHOULD have had it in it .

tweake, Jan 20, 10:05am
it will be interesting to see if you can claim.
insurance often doesn't want to know about it.
the manufacture has long since washed their hands of it.
who ever installed it has more than likely long gone, assuming you could even find out who it was. even if you do find them they simply close down and restart up as something else.
theres a possibility the original owners got paid out for it and took the money and flicked the house.
the building inspection have an out clause so they can't be held responsible.
the only possibility is council and odds are they will deny deny deny and you will spend more on lawyers than fixing the house.

local plumbers have had the same problem in more recent years when a copper pipe importer brought in junk that leaked. plumber couldn't afford to sue them, couldn't afford to fix the houses they had done, so closed down.
all the home owners are stuck with leaky pipes.

elect70, Jan 20, 5:14pm
I agree my hot water pipe got chewd in the HWC but dogs water bowl just beside it . . Rats eat anything seenpvc electrical cables chewed through . But as for quest ask plumber if there is still any compo for users who
have problems , from the manufacturer .i know there was a lot of payouts . May have to bite the bullet & replace with butnyl If MOH is handy with tools
can hire a crimper & DIY it using old pipes as templates & buy the pipe & fitings from plumbing supplies

elect70, Jan 20, 5:21pm
I remember that also bought in crap rfrigeration grade cooper tube . It would crack when you tried to flare it . . . luckily the local suppliers dumped it quickly .once complaints came in . lesson learnrt now all fridge pipe is from USA as before . Then we had the cheap crap electrical cable . All down to deregulation & suppliers own " cert docs '

vtecintegra, Jan 20, 5:39pm
You wouldn't expect the LIM to say anything relevant here.

As for the builders report what did it say about the plumbing?

trade4us2, Jan 20, 6:37pm
If there's any Dux Quest in the house it would be a good idea to replumb and rewire the whole house, and put insulation in as well. I have done that, not that I had any Dux Quest.

maclad, Jan 20, 6:40pm
Replumb, yes, but why rewire as well. Insulation makes sense if not already there.

tegretol, Jan 20, 7:29pm
Does Dux conduct the power as well then?

floydandu2, Jan 20, 7:42pm
My insurance claim totalled nearly $20k when the Dux Quest in my bathroom split while I was away for the weekend. Replumb - it's not worth the headache.

lissie, Jan 21, 3:38pm
OUr house was built 87/88 and had Dux Quest - it was obvious- the internal garage isn't lined and is beneath the bathroom. We replaces it - all of it - even the piece to the external water tap on t the far side of the house - but interestingly none of it had actually caused any damage at all. We also declared to AA insurance and they covered it with the usual limit on gradual water damage (which is for all plumbing) . You're probably looking at redoing kitchen/bathroom in that age house anyways - so doing the rest of the pipes isn't that big a deal in the scheme of things

trade4us2, Jan 9, 7:02am
My wiring was probably 70 years old. It was horrible.