Can someone help identifying plant please?

muffty, Aug 7, 10:57am
Sorry no photo, but should be easy for experienced plant person to identify hopefully. I have a plant with big flax like but fleshy succulent type leaves, (not a native). A couple of months ago it sent up an enormous (4.5m) "flower" spike up through the centre and I think it's going to die, but heaps of little plantlets have formed off the spike. Just wondering what it is and if it is a pest. Would appreciate any help, thanks!

lillol, Aug 7, 11:09am
Is it an Aloe, orange spear like flower?

muffty, Aug 7, 11:14am
I'm not sure if it actually had flowers, unfortunately the spike has gone through the top of a tree so couldn't see, but I have seen a very similar one somewhere with yellow flowers at the top of the spike. To me it seems like a type of aloe. Sorry my internet playing up

muffty, Aug 7, 11:16am
Sorry I mean flowers with petals, obviously the spear is one big flower I guess. Not orange though.

zak410, Aug 7, 11:18am
Agave maybe ? We have one here, the flower spike grew taller than the power line !

https://goo.gl/BMsvAJ

muffty, Aug 7, 11:32am
Yes! Thanks, that's definitely the right group. Did yours die after it flowered? The thing that puts me off it a bit is the spiky leaves with toddlers. But it looks impressive. :-)

zak410, Aug 7, 12:25pm
Yes the mother plant died after flowering. and dropping 100s of little pups.
Only few pups survived but ours isn't a very spiky sort.

meoldchina, Oct 10, 4:47pm
Dreadful plant! My husband had an allergic reaction to the sap that came out of it and every scratch on his arm became infected and itched like mad. I suggest you pull out every sucker (I said "sucker") as soon as you can, but wear gloves and protect your arms.