Heatpump ?

asue, Dec 4, 5:37pm
Hi - we have had a Toshiba wall mounted heat pump for about 4 years and its been good. But now its stinking hot I've been running the air con which is also good. However, its started to leak water out of the unit now its on cooling and it runs down the wall (bath towel is soaking wet after half an hour). Why is this? Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks everyone

gpg58, Dec 4, 5:41pm
Blocked drain is likely, or are the filters dirty?
If on an internal wall, it may have a drain pump fitted, which has died or is blocked up.
If external wall, the drain will go outside somewhere, and may have a spiders web blocking it, or it could even be buried with dirt or bark etc.

asue, Dec 4, 5:43pm
Ok - dunno? can I fix this myself or does it need a heat pump service? thanks

gpg58, Dec 4, 5:45pm
If you can find drain(outside), and clean, fine. Blocked drain inside is dismantle unit and clean.
Drain pump is often behind unit or in ceiling, so likely out of homeowner fixing range too.

Filters are a householders monthly chore to clean usually (when in use)

merrigj, Dec 4, 7:14pm
Yep blocked drain. When on cooling the fins are cold and any moisture in the air condenses and drips off them. Normally this water is fed into a drain which runs outside. You need to check this drain and make sure not blocked.

supernova2, Dec 4, 8:49pm
Or even worse was never fitted/connected when HP was installed.

gpg58, Feb 1, 1:18pm
Have seen a few of those too, often on internal wall mounted jobs, where owner was too cheap to pay for a pump(or replace failed one), and said they would never use it on cooling, then sell the house.