Help needed - gutters/spouting-suggestions please

sumstyle, Jan 13, 11:41am
Morena all. I had my gutters replaced last year, and I wasn't onsite when it was done. The team put in an extra down pipe where there wasn't one before. It was down to a drain grate in the concrete driveway that hadn't previously had a down pipe connected to it.

It seems that the drain grate in the concrete driveway is perhaps not connected to a storm water drain because the water from the gutters now ends up flooding the driveway once whatever little capacity the drain grate pipe thing is full.

My question: is there anything sensible I can do DIY style to the gutter to severely limit or stop the rain water accessing the down pipe?

I can't go back to the company that did the work as they have been placed into liquidation, no pun intended.

ruakokopatuna, Jan 13, 11:53am
Wedge a tennis ball firmly into the downpipe! (Will only work if the downpipe is round, of course)

sumstyle, Jan 13, 11:57am
Too simple, i love it! Thank you.

ruakokopatuna, Jan 13, 12:08pm
My pleasure! Hope it works. It's an example of Occam's razor - In other words, we should avoid looking for excessively complex solutions to a problem and focus on what works, given the circumstances.

tony461, Jan 13, 12:08pm
Why did they add the 'extra' down pipe? Was it was to fix a problem?
If it is extra to previous requirements, block or remove it. But if you want to improve your property, check out the problem with the drive drain? Maybe remove the grate to check what's down there first. (Wreck it and buy a replacement). It could be just a gravel soakpit that can't take the extra flow. When it's dry, check absorption by pouring water down the hole and see how much it absorbs?

sumstyle, Jan 13, 9:03pm
The people that installed the new gutters were different from the one that removed the old gutters, so I don't think the installer realised that there hadn't been a down pipe in that area - the just looked at the number of down pipe drain holes and added one on the driveway.

gpg58, Jan 13, 6:00pm
However if the fall is to that direction, the gutter will always be part full of water and slime growing if you block it, great as a bird bath after rain, not so good if metal spouting due to likely rusting issue.