Trying to grow Cucumbers

walker18, Nov 22, 6:03pm
I have been told to put milk on my cucumber plants.Has anybody done this. I don't seem to use a full bottle of milk so have quite a bit left over. would like to use it on somethong

wasgonna, Nov 22, 6:07pm
Milk is usually diluted with water to be used as a spray to combat powdery mildew which strikes cucumber, courgettes, pumpkins, etc.

This will explain everything and other solutions.
http://www.rnzih.org.nz/pages/powdery-mildew.htm

maclad, Nov 22, 6:11pm
Milk will not combat powdery mildew, at best, if sprayed while plants are clean, it may prevent it forming, the idea being that mildew will not grow on the fatty deposit it leaves. i would not hold my breath. Just feed your plants well to maintain high health and remove all old foliage before it becomes diseased. Healthy plants have a far better chance of over coming problems.

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 22, 6:14pm
I water all my plants with the rinse water from an emptied milk bottle. It was a bit of my grandmother's garden lore and I do it as a habit. I have read that adding milk powder to the planting hole for tomatoes can boost growth - I suspect the calcium might be responsible but meantime I recycle the rinse water - can't hurt!

walker18, Feb 8, 9:02pm
Thank you I will dilute it.