Apple Cucumbers

southerngurl, Jan 5, 6:37am
As many of you know, this has been my first year with a vege garden. I have a Apple cucumber that has got mega amount of cucumbers, however how do I know when their ready, I leave them to see if they change colour. The biggest one is about 3-4cm long and kinda a soft yellowy green. Still really firm. The picture on the label has pretty little circular cucumbers, mine are starting to look like fat fingers,when do I pick them!

gag5, Jan 5, 8:53am
Mmm.apple cukes are usually apple shaped maybe slightly longer but you may have a different variety. Yes too early to pick yet - they should be way bigger than 3-4cm & colouring almost to white. Give them plenty of water too. IF you have mega fruit you might want to thin them out a bit to allow them to grow bigger. That many fruit is hard work for one little plant!
Now this is just my humbel opinion & I am a long way off being an super experinced vege gardener, so someone may well come along with another idea, but we do luv our apple cukes & am very disappointed in my 2 pathetic plants. But, we live in hope.have fun in your patch!

southerngurl, Jan 5, 9:39am
thanks for the info, I might have a squizz at it tomorrow. it was a 50cent clearance plant so i'm quite chuffed. theres probably 15-20 little puff's (just after flowering going into fruit) and bout 4-5 really well established fruits so Im quite chuffed. I might pick a couple of the littliers. The plant is no taller about 60-80 cms.I know there meant to grow horizontally but I didnt have the room so I've talked nicely to it and made it grow vertically.

lythande1, Jan 5, 6:39pm
Sounds like they are not ready yet, but as you have loads, pick one and cut it open. That will tell you.

kaliyuga, Jan 16, 1:47pm
when you can rub the prickles off the skin they are ready. also before they turn yellow.