Powder Mildew on Apple Trees

peppastar, Nov 30, 1:52am
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this! Tree is 1 yr old.

I tried google but couldnt really find anything relevant to nz

Thanks

bugin, Nov 30, 3:25am
If you start by cutting out all the infected material ,yes all of it!Burn the wood.
The best spray you can get in your garden shop is probably Rose spray ,as this covers black spot and powdery mildew,but you should repeatevery 10 days ,especially just after rain.

peppastar, Nov 30, 3:35am
Ummm it was on the main centre branch. Stink! I got most off. Does this means its no good. Should i cut all branches off now to hope for a better year next year! Bugger its got 30 off apples growing too

bugin, Nov 30, 6:08am
Do you actually know it is powdery mildew !This time of the year it should not be so invasive .Warm humid conditions are worse.
It will probably continue to re-infect the the whole tree if you dont remove the infection.
Get a definite identification from a garden center if you are unsure.

les6, Nov 30, 8:06am
not hard to get rid of!just spray with wetable sulphur or even full cream milk in a bit of water,not sure of the dilution rate but surprised here was nothing on google!

breness, Nov 30, 8:15am
I don't mean to tell any one to suck eggs but if taking a diseased piece of plant into a garden centre for ID of the disease please have it well confined in a closed plastic bag.
When I worked in a garden centre our hearts used to go to our boots when we saw someone walking in carrying a diseased plant.
The garden centres puts hundreds of dollars into buying stock and one diseased plant could wipe out their stock

bugin, Dec 1, 12:05am
breness ,it would be logical to take a few pics to the garden center .No one suggested taking diseased plant material anywhere.In fact ,burning the diseased wood is the suggestion.
Wettable sulphur will help ,but has no activity in the plant and will need re spraying very often (3-4days).Full cream milk will only work on disease free plants and gives 1-2 day protection at best.

breness, Nov 27, 8:59pm
Bugin. You wouldn't believe the number of people that came through the gates carrying diseased plants or parts thereof.
We fully understood that the people wouldn't think that it may affect our plants.
Nothing malicious just worried gardeners