First year apple tree from rootstock

citydude, Nov 17, 4:54am
Hey all:)

About 6 months ago, we planted an apple tree,

Its 'rootstock', granny smith. Its about 2 meters tall, with very thin trunk (about 4 cm diameter)

Much to my pleasure, just went outside to find it has about 50 little apple buds growing (so far each as big as a 20c piece)

Would it be wise to thin the apples off, leaving a few to get all the nutrients! Just thinking such a thin trunk wont be able to grow them all well.

Its in a good spot, good soil, any advice appreciated:)

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 17, 5:18am
I know some people suggest thinning, but personally I think mother nature knows best. Any that the tree cannot support will drop by themselves, I'd leave it and enjoy.

spiritofgonzo, Nov 17, 6:28am
I don't think the 'mother nature knows best' argument works when a tree has been grafted onto a rootstock, which would have been taken as a cutting . essentially turning a 2 - 3 year tree into the productive capability of a tree at least twice that age.but it is a personal choice.And my personal preference is: I'd rather it spend more energy into establishing itself in its first years than producing more fruit than it can handle.A tree in it's first year shouldn't be trying to ripen 50 fruits, I'd probably limit it to about 6 (or none).You will get a stronger, healthier tree with more vigour next year if you limit its fruit.

spiritofgonzo, Nov 17, 6:29am
In fact if it's only been planted 6 months, I would remove all fruit.!you will have a much, much stronger tree for it next year.

citydude, Nov 6, 9:13pm
Thanks guys:)Maybe I'll limit it to 2 fruits, so me and the wife can try them, but let the rest of energy go towards fattening out for next year:)