Cucumbers

doree36, Dec 13, 10:16am
I have 2 cucumbers (climbing) with only one female all the rest are males can i do anything about this situation? i have never had this happen before over many years of home gardening - stilol at it as a 85 year old lady. Thanks in anticipation for any help .

lythande1, Dec 13, 2:32pm
Don't panic. they - like courgettes - often do that at first. Leave them be and they'll start making females by the hundred soon.

doree36, Dec 13, 5:53pm
Thank you lythande1 . By the way i have been able to strike 2 cuttings of the beautiful shrub Kalmia Latifolia ( which i was told i could never do) (if you dont know this the Common Name is Calico Bush or Mountain Laurel) It needed "misting" everyday I do a lot of cuttings for the sheer challenge of them - guess thats part of getting old The secret I have found is to dip your cuttings in Cinnamon ! Happy Gardening to you Regards Noni R

melford, Dec 13, 8:03pm
well done doree36! What a pretty flower it has. I noticed it is very toxic to animals though.

malcovy, Dec 13, 8:29pm
I had a beautiful kalmia but was severely damaged by a huge dumping of snow quite a few years back. I have seen another one and took a cutting with permission but it didn't grow. If I ever get the chance again I will try the cinnamon trick :-)

malcovy, Dec 13, 8:32pm
I finally have a good crop of cucumbers growing against the house. Last year I had no luck and I had them growing in the tunnel house. Wally Richards has a product called 'cucumber booster' available at mitre 10, maybe that may help.

anglia, Dec 13, 9:11pm
Thank you Noni!
I just looked this up and apparently cinnamon is good for warding off insect pests, helps to treat fungus in plants and a rooting agent.
Any other natural tips for the garden?

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 2, 7:03pm
Honey does the same thing.