Smal leak in roof

Page 1 / 2
rpvr, Aug 14, 2:29pm
I have a small leak in my roof, which causes an area on two boards in the sarked ceiling to get damp to the touch when there is heavy rain, and has damaged the varnish. Have sealed around nails in the vicinity, but no success in stopping it. I have even had a visit from a roofer, who very kindly didn't charge, just offered some advice which I don't think is correct, because of where the dampness first appears when the rain starts. It starts right on the outer edge near the group of 3 nails I have sealed (photos attached). Any advice gratefully received. I am beginning to think, seeing it's a small area, that it may be necessary to remove a dozen or so nails to see what's going on underneath.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/850946692.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/850946600.jpg

shanreagh, Aug 14, 2:39pm
As my dad used to say 'water finds its own level' meaning don't assume from where the dampness is that this is where the water is coming in. It may be coming in further up and comes out/manifests itself where the nail holes are.
perhaps take the ridge capping off and the flashing thing or at least inspect further up the roof.

easyglowcandle, Aug 14, 4:11pm
As above, the leak is probably further up the roof, I had a similar situation, in the end I found a nail was leaking at the top on a flashing and the water was running down the timber to the lower level, in my opinion the best bet is to replace the nails with roofing screws which have seals on them, I would do the whole area in your photo and it will most likely fix it

tweake, Aug 14, 5:40pm
have a look at the edge of that flashing. see how the edge of it fits up against the roofing. it looks like its been hammered down so hard that the edge of it now curves up to the roofing.
thats an easy place for water to come through.

gabbysnana, Aug 14, 6:17pm
Right at the top against the house.

stevo2, Aug 14, 7:00pm
To be honest, I cant see where that one is leaking in your photos but that type of roof design has a weak spot where the top of the dormers intersect with the sloping roof. (Photo 2 - dormers barge flashing to ridging)
May (or may not) be running down from there.
The tiles "Should" have a turn up on the end under the barge flashing to re-direct any water that may come in under the edge of the barge flashing.

golfdiver, Aug 15, 7:46am
That actually isn’t a tile roof, it’s one of Besalon or Srmpura. I see the problem as the barge flashing being too small. I think the water is sealing under in and ingressing down the nail shaft. Sealing the nails won’t help. Put some scaffold up and get a roofer to install a barge flashing that comes right over the next crest.

budgel, Aug 15, 11:58am
Remove the flashing and make sure the edges of the tiles underneath it are turned up.

golfdiver, Aug 15, 12:21pm
They aren’t tiles, it’s longrun

lythande1, Aug 15, 3:14pm
Accept his advice, he knows more than you

golfdiver, Aug 15, 6:25pm
This style of roof is notorious for leaking through the fixings. I’d replace the barge flashing and all the nails with screws. Might have to use profile washers over an EPDM

rpvr, Aug 16, 11:00am
His advice was that he didn't know what the actual problem was, the roof is good and tight and looks ok, and possibly in very heavy rain water is splashing up over the flashing on the weatherboard side. But when it rains after a dry period, the moisture always starts on outer edge by the nails which I mentioned earlier.

rpvr, Aug 16, 11:04am
Yes I think you are right, by careful measuring of the distance between crests, I think at least a couple of the nails through the flashing then don't go through a crest, they go into a trough. Funny though that we have been here 22 years and the issue has just appeared. The best solution is no doubt as you suggest, although I guess I could try removing a couple of nails I think are the culprits and replacing them with screws in a different position (blocking the holes they came out of, of course). Next question, how is the best way to pull them out without undue damage to the roof?

hammer23, Aug 16, 1:19pm
this was also my suspicion looking at the foto and as I read on hey what the resident roofing maestro got in first. He thought of it first so he gets the reward.

easyglowcandle, Aug 16, 3:03pm
Claw hammer with a block of wood in the valley of the roofing material, as budgel suggested at post 8, make sure the roofing under the flashing has been turned up as it looks like they may have scrimped on the iron and there is no ridge under the flashing or the nails have been driven down too far and flattened the iron out

golfdiver, Aug 16, 7:33pm
You will be wasting your time doing that. It will still seep under the barge . You need your barge to go right over that big crest and then have a turn down that you can notch at each rise up the “tile” profile. I suspect this will make the cover down the barge board less, so you will need to allow for this. Get the scaffold up first and do it once and do it right.

stevo2, Aug 16, 7:47pm
^^^ What he said ^^^

rpvr, Aug 17, 8:52am
What worries me is there are four sections like this, one at each corner of the house, with the same width of barge etc. The others haven't leaked. yet.

golfdiver, Aug 17, 12:45pm
I guess your actions will be based on whether you are proactive or reactive. I know what I would be doing . Good luck

rpvr, Aug 17, 4:59pm
Thanks. Ideally I ant someone to do it for me, as at my age I shouldn't be climbing up there to do anything major. I appreciated the guy who came out for a look and didn't charge, but his conclusion was confusing to me, indicating that it was somehow coming from the other side. I may get him back, share the opinions on here and ask for a quote to replace the barge flashing with screws as you suggest. I've looked carefully at the other 3 corners and it seems by the nail spacing that the nails go through the flashing and then through a crest. The leaking one is different.

budgel, Aug 17, 6:15pm
Sorry, my mistake but The edge under the flashing still needs to be turned up.

rpvr, Aug 20, 3:11pm
I am currently waiting for the roofer who called the other day to get back to me. But have been doing some measuring, and note to take the barge flashing right over to the next crest, it would need to be 250mm. Is it made in this size or would it need to be a special? The current one is 125mm.

happychappy50, Aug 20, 3:41pm
Any flashing company can bend one to your requirements rpvr

lakeview3, Aug 20, 3:59pm
I am no expert OBVIOUSLY ROFL 🤣 but wonder if it’s possible that the leak could be occurring where the supports for the fire flue have been attached and then running down? Just another thought.

happychappy50, Aug 20, 4:03pm
If you read the op’s description LV the issue is on the upper level not the skillion where the flue emits.If I am wrong,it could be the deck title around the flue which to most would be the first place to inspect