Smal leak in roof

Page 2 / 2
lakeview3, Aug 20, 4:21pm
i had a look at the first picture and it seems OP has tried to seal where he thinks it’s leaking which looks like it’s further down from where the support is attached. There is no overhang on the roof so water could easily run down into a small hole made by a nail or screw. Anyway, just a thought. If something leaks I always ask myself if there has been anything attached or holes made recently or some time after all the original work was done and that would be the first place I looked.

pzkpfw, Aug 20, 4:36pm
Just curious: I've never noticed a down pipe done like the one in the second picture. The one down from the top level that's made to go horizontally into the gutter.
Is that a "good idea"? Should that be replaced by a spreader?

lakeview3, Aug 20, 4:42pm
now you pointed that out it looks like it might at times channel too much water in one direction which could force water up under the roof tiles. Might I say it, it’s a bit ‘Heath Robinson’ lol. Good spotting!

happychappy50, Aug 20, 4:58pm
It could well do,be better off creating the spreader further up the roof with several holes on the down side with 1/2 caps over both ends of it,therefore spreading an even exit over several corrugations

rpvr, Aug 20, 9:14pm
The down pipe has ben there since we bought the house 21 years ago and is I think someone's idea of a spreader as it has about 4 or 5 v-shaped slots cut out of the lower edge above the spouting. Can't say I've noticed much water coming out the end even in heavy rain, co I guess most of it is going down the slots directly into the spouting. But I will certainly look at changing it now that it has been brought to my attention.

rpvr, Aug 20, 9:16pm
A few years ago I had a guy in to replace the dome over our upstairs shower, and his real name was Heath Robinson. I kid you not. His workmanship was in keeping with the name too.

golfdiver, Aug 21, 6:26am
It shouldn’t be a problem at all. Leave it be

rpvr, Aug 29, 8:25am
Still trying to get a tradesman to have a look at this. The guy who first had a look is not returning calls or answering emails. Tried about 6 different ones now. Nobody is interested in small jobs anymore. There are handyman-type people who will tackle it, but who knows what the workmanship will be like? Getting tradesmen in Auckland is virtually impossible! Just want to get on with it and get it done.

hammer23, Aug 29, 11:34am
Get a handy man, a lot of these guys i come across are quite capable and reliable or up them selves. One i meet the other day was a "fed up with the bullshit" builder who now does odd jobs ,is happy and swims below the radar.

rpvr, Sep 30, 4:40pm
Eventually, on contacting a roofer who was too busy to do the job, got a number from him for another guy who he says is capable and does work for him from time to time. This guy has come and given me a quote, so will go ahead and get it done. He also says he will drop the flashing off so I can paint it before he puts it up, so I won't have to climb up to do it afterwards. Sounding ok at this point, fingers crossed.